Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

Just purchased a 2016 Featherlight x17z in February. Took

Customer Question

Just purchased a 2016 Featherlight x17z in February. Took the battery out for storage then when we put it back in, we put the wires on the wrong poles, realized it, then put them on correctly. No power either way. Had the battery checked and they said it was damaged so we bought another. New battery in place, hooked up correctly. Still no power. No breakers were tripped, no fuses in the power box blown. Turned all breakers off and on in sequence. Still nothing. Replaced reverse polarity fuse (in power box) just in case. Still nothing. Tried a different battery. Nothing. The manual says it takes a group 27 but the box only fits a 24. We have full power when plugged in with the shore line. What are we missing with this battery power issue? We are out of ideas and hoping you can help!
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

Check the shortstop breaker on the front near the battery. It may have been damaged or tripped if you have a manual model. You mentioned replacing the reverse polarity fuses in the load center...........there are two. Please get back to me if we need to dig deeper into this. All follow ups are included in our fee. No time limit. See a photo of one at the attached link.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks Randall. We looked for something that looks like that but can't seem to locate it. There doesn't appear to be anything but wires from the battery all the way into the bottom of the camper. The wires are bundled in a plastic tube to protect them, I guess, so we can't see in side of that but it's pretty small in diameter. Could it be hiding in there? It has a power lift tongue (the red wire with the black one on + polarity). I attached some photos of the power box and the battery area so you can see what I do.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

It should be underneath...........either on the inside of the frame OR sometimes they put it under the belly and have a small piece of plastic that is held on with screws and you access it from there. I had forgotten that this WFCO unit only has one reverse polarity fuse. Don't see these much. a 12 VDC test light or small digital multimeter is helpful for diagnosing this sort of problem. About $5 and $20 respectively at most hardware stores and easy to use. Get back to me if we need to go further.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have searched every inch of that thing and can't find anything bolted to the frame or belly or anywhere along the wires from battery until it enters the camper. This is the information we already had and have been looking for since the beginning. Is there anywhere I can get information specific to our make and model? A diagram of where things are? Any other thoughts about what it could be? The battery itself? Is it possible to blow the converter by hooking the battery up backwards with the fuses and breaker in place to protect it? This is so frustrating- we just bought this and are leaving for our first trip on Thursday."a 12 VDC test light or small digital multimeter is helpful for diagnosing this sort of problem. About $5 and $20 respectively at most hardware stores and easy to use." I am learning all of this as I go- can you explain what this is used for? How I would use it?
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

You can follow the current with those and see where you have it and where you don't. Look and see if there is a place to open up the belly where the wires go into it. By code, these HAVE to be within 18" of the battery. And if you have power when you hook up the shore power then the converter is working. So far as wiring diagrams..........some manufacturers have them available and some don't. Check with their Customer Service and see.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
if I follow the wires with a multimeter, it should lead me to a shortstop if there is one, yes? If no shortstop, it would show me a "break" in the electrical current/in the wire? The wires go into the belly through a drilled hole that has black goo sealing it. This is a pretty small hybrid camper.Is there any way to tell for sure if it is the battery itself (wrong type/size)? We know the battery works because we had it tested at Auto Zone. The manual calls for a group 27 but the plastic box only fits a 24.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

The battery isn't the issue. It has to be in the line from the battery to the load center. IF you take a test light or meter and check for power AT the load center without any shore power and you don't see any AT the battery lead then you know where to look. Doubtful they would have put the shortstop breaker or fuse behind the load center, but I suppose it is possible. Some of the people assembling these have no idea what they are doing. I can help you solve this much faster with a phone chat I think.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thanks for your help Randall. You are clearly knowledgeable about campers but I don't think we are going to get anywhere on this without knowing the specifics of this particular camper. It appears to be different from the norm. I've searched for schematics to no avail. Also went to the hardware store to purchase the device you suggested and they couldn't explain how to use it. Without more knowledge on my part, it still feels like a shot in the dark. There's just too much I don't know about electrical systems to follow your instructions. Thanks anyway.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

Hard to teach you much this reason the phone service is so popular. No limit on time or number of calls, but you may just be better off calling in a mobile tech to assist you. Sorry we didn't get to work this out.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
How do we proceed since we couldn't reach an answer?
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

We reached an just didn't know how to proceed with the testing. You can ask Customer Service for a refund if you want. This service works pretty well for most customer who can do some "hands on" work and follow some guidelines, but not all.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Interesting point of view. Yeah, I will be asking for a refund.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Just to be clear, I don't doubt your expertise, it is the website that is misleading. $45 is a lot to spend for a maybe. In this case it was assumed I would have skills beyond the average person. To have you walk me through it on the phone would have cost extra. Thank you for your time today.