Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.

Russ here, I have a Fabex Sidewinder pin box on my 34 ft.

Customer Question

Russ here, I have a Fabex Sidewinder pin box on my 34 ft. ***** ***** Outback. The problem I'm having is that the pin box doesn't return to the neutral position after I make a turn, more noticeable after a right hand turn. How do I correct this?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: like what? I make a turn to get on the freeway or onto another road, and it appears that my fifth wheel is tracking off center. I thought the problem was that my axles were out of alignment, which they were, I fixed that by installing the Correct Track system. I just took iy out for a test drive and nticed that, after making the right turn out of my drive, the unit was still tracking off center. I stopped and got out of the truck and looked at the pin box and noticed that after I straightened out, it was still cocked to the right.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — RV Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

Was this the OEM pin box or an aftermarket addition? Does it move freely when you do it by hand without the truck hooked up?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
It was on the unit when we bought it, used, so I don't know if it's OEM or after market. I can move it back and forth without it being hooked up
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

The USUAL reason for this not being exactly straight with the pin box as you describe is from either the pin box being slightly off center with regard to the axles and tracking OR the weight isn't distributed correctly on the trailer and it allows the unit to be pulled somewhat to the side. I really don't personally care for this sort of pin box for this reason, but I do see that sometimes the extra ability to get around in tight places can be a benefit. It shouldn't really hurt anything so long as the tires aren't wearing unevenly AND it isn't allowing the trailer to track too far to one side of the truck as that can make it handle somewhat unevenly and on wet pavement, that might be an issue. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
All the measurements indicate that it's centered, and I'm always careful to load the weight evenly. This problem is quite disturbing and would really like to get a solid reason it's happening so I can correct it before I put it back on the road.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

You would need to weigh each side separately on a scale............most trailers are NOT the same from side to side. That can make them pull unevenly. You might contact the maker of the pin box and see if they have anything else to offer, but I see this question from time to time and I have never heard of any other reason IF the pin box isn't the problem being bound up in one direction.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Well, no offense but... I have investigated all your tips previous to this, that's why I contacted this service. As it would appear that Fabex itself no longer exists, whether they were bought out by Reese or whatever, contacting them is not an option. So, if you can't give me anything solid to go on, perhaps I'll just continue to investigate this myself. I'm not so comfortable with " It really shouldn't hurt anything unless...." scenario.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

The only want you will solve this issue it to remove that and go to a non-pivoting pin box. You asked for a cause and I have you several. Most you either can't correct or checked out. So, you can live with this or buy a new pin box. End of story.......and no offense taken. We don't give answers based on whether or not it is popular or not.......just based on facts and years of experience. I never sell those and this is one reason why. Hope that clarifies this some for you.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you very much, I'm sorry you were unable to assist me with this. I have since found 3 other possible causes, involving torque specifications, wedge placement etc. and will investigate these.
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

Rare for that............and we addressed the pin box being off center. Let me know if you resolve it using any of these other than replacement. Always open to something I haven't seen or heard of before.