Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have HOLIDAY RAMBLER 1999 diesel pusher with allison

Customer Question

I have HOLIDAY RAMBLER 1999 diesel pusher with allison automatic transmission. I had to replace the cummins motor in it with 26000 miles becuase of a faulity engine block made in BRAZIL,cost over 14 thousand dollars,cummins would not help becuase of the age of the age of the motorhome.Now with 30 some thousand miles on it the rear end is going out ,what is it with this machine i have never pulled anything but a compact car with it,i am really sick of this it is a piece of junk.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

Sorry to hear you are having issues with this year HR. I am familiar with the in famous "53" block and it was not the issue to have.

I am afraid you will need to have a good chassis shop or Allison take a look at this it sounds as if there is some internal damage to the where it connects to the bell housing if it is slipping into reverse, really hard to say how much the repair will cost, I would at least have some eyes on this and you can have a better idea of the repair cost. IF it needs a new transmission and can not be rebuilt then you are looking at 4 k plus the labor so maybe 6-8 K worst case scenario. Any seals such as the output shaft seal should also be replaced. I know it is not the news you are looking for but be prepared for that. I might also have the shop check the ride height as well, if the ride height was off it can put the drive line in a bind and cause issues. Normally the bag height is checked after the RV comes to ride height to see if it is in specs. I might also have a sample taken of the rear diff and make sure nothing is going on with that. Might be OK to nurse this along to a shop if forward gears seem to be working... Robert

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Didn't tell me much I didn't already now but thanks
Expert:  Robert replied 8 months ago.

Sorry until you have a shop take a better look hard to say the cost on this repair. My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating... Robert