gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry

Deep cycle battery cables to house cables caught fire, cant

Customer Question

deep cycle battery cables to house cables caught fire, cant figure out cause must replace wiring...and salvage chassis/house wires
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The RV Mechanic will know what to do. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: can i just not use the aux system and use my gas generator? good lord, do the house batts start that? probably only through the dash, would have to start her up manually yes/
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: did not cause any extensive damage, damage limited to cables only, and up the cable wires stopping just at the entry to the dash/cabin/engine
JA: Is there anything else important you think the RV Mechanic should know about your RV?
Customer: I just bought it...I did not notice the wiring, ie to the head lights, batteries...the starting battery is even missing a would think i would notice that....wonder if i was sabotaged...or if i bought a lemon///smoke started from turning on the headlights, then fire and smoke started from the cable itself, the thick cable, burnt it through, in half and up the house cable...i only had her running less than 5 minutes, put out the problem immediately, damage to cables only...still starts and runs like a charm...
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

Something was wired up wrong OR one of the batteries was shorted out. No other reasons for this to happen. Start by having the batteries load tested to be sure they are good. Get some new cables and take photos of all the ones that are damaged FIRST before you take them loose. I suspect you are going to need some assistance from a good mobile tech here to some and assess the problem and help you get this figured out correctly without doing any more damage. You should get a set of wiring diagrams for this coach as that would help. If you can give me the year, make and model of what you have I may be able to assist in this. Attach the photos to your post if you can using the paperclip icon so I can take a look at what you have. All follow ups are included in our fee and fully expected here.

Expert:  Randall replied 7 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved yet or do you still need more input from me here?