Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have model 600315.001 and it seems to be working, fan

Customer Question

I have model 600315.001 and it seems to be working, fan blows through all ducts, and I can hear the compressor kick on. I bought an 1987 carri-lite fith wheel and it seems like the freon (R22) is low. Air is not cooling while compressor is running. This reminds me of when this happens in my automobile, the just recharge the system with fresh or more freon. Is it possible here too? am I able to do by getting a recharge kit? If not, what is a matching replacement system I would want to consider ?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.

Are you sure that the compressor is running? These have sealed systems and you can't just add refrigerant to them as they have no ports. Some HVAC firms will do that for you...........it depends on the area and how they feel about it. If you can't, then a replacement is going to be the only other option. Let me know if you want to pursue that and I can recommend one for you. Let me know if you want just a standard 13.5K A/C or a heat pump version or if you want to go to a 15K unit. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
When I turn on the unit, I hear the compressor running. The Texas heat is starting early and overwhelming I have noticed to buy a new one, I would have to buy air box kit, installation kit, and the upper unit. All sold desperately :-(. I am wondering if taking the upper unit in to be retrofitted with a charging capability would be easier? What kind of cost am I looking at in a new system. A heat pump should be nice but can I have prices for both heat pump and standard cooling. 15k would be better for my hot/humid environment
Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.

Check PPL in your area for a decent price. Also check out AdventureRV online as they have some great deals as well. I would go with a 15K unit if possible. I don't know if the extra for a heat pump is really worth it as they aren't that effecient when it gets really cold. Let me know what they quote you.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I am at the unit now, I see that it has an on unit thermostat. When I turn the selector know for high cool, low cool, high fan, low fan, I can hear the compressor running. Though when I turn the thermostat knob left and right, I do not hear a clicking noise as would indicate it is working. Is this a reason it may not be cooling ?
Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.

Is the fan blowing out any air or just the compressor running?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
The fan is blowing out air nicely at all speeds
Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.

If the fan is blowing out air and the compressor is running, then it is out of refridgerant. Unless you can find an HVAC guy to instal ports and recharge it you will have to get a new unit.

Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you got this resolved or do you still need some input from me here?