Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 35 foot holiday rambler class A motor home with a

Customer Question

I have a 35 foot holiday rambler class A motor home with a 1999 ford v10 that seems to run very hot. I believe the engine may have even been cutting back last july from the temp--will it cut back if it gets too hot
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: We were running 60 to 70 mph in south dakota and pulling a 14 foot aluminum trailer with a side by side and a regular 4 wheeler--radiator was full-using ac close to 90 degrees--some side wind---pulling some of the hills I lost power
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $28 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: RV
Expert:  Eclayton4 replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Eddie here and I will do all I can to help. Have you replaced anything yet to try and fix the problem? Such as thermostat? water pump? Also, what is the condition of the coolant? does it look muddy at all? or is it nice and clean? Let us know, Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing has been touched yet--I will have to check the coolant for color.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I believe it was dark green but not positive
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is the cooling fan for the engine brought on by temp only or is there a switch tied to the air conditioning as well. At what temp should the radiator fan cycle on and off. Would it cause any problems if I wired in a bypass switch for the radiator fan so I could run the fan steady if I wanted to? What is the minimum thermostat temp I can put in if I change out the thermostat that is in there now?
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

It seems the tech which was helping has not logged back in for 25 hours now. The cooling fan is controlled by the air temp flowing through the radiator fins. You could install an additional electric fan if you choose to in front of the radiator and condenser. You want the engine to run at operating temp, not lower so the OEM thermostat should be used which is 195 degrees F I believe.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I may not have explained what I am trying to find out very well so I will try again. My concern is the high temp that this motor is operating at--up to 240 degrees. In my experience to much heat is never a good thing and I have found that operating an engine cooler is better. I am concerned if there will be a problem with the operation of the engine computer if I can bring this engine down to the 160-180 degree range where they belong. RV mechanics tell me the cooler you can run these things the better off you are. Do you have V-10 RV or truck experience? I have been a refrigeration tech for 40 plus years and I will tackle anything mechanical as long as I have the information I need to do it.

I own a 08 V10 F350 and work for Ford dealer.

If its running 240, a lower temp thermostat alone is not going to help. It would pretty much be open all the time which in turn would make it run hotter. Did you monitor the trans oil temp, the trans cooler is in the radiator and it may be causing a large majority of your heat issues. See if your model has an auxiliary trans cooler, if not, then i would add one. I have added alot of auxillary cooling fans to RV chassis due to the air flow in the engine area not good enough and when operating in high temps on hilly terrain when towing they run to HOT.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The air conditioning condenser and the transmission cooler are mounted in front of the radiator. Neither of them have their own fan. I will check into adding electric fans and I am going to put the coolest thermostat I can find in. I understand what you are saying about the present t-stat being wide open. I am hoping by opening earlier I can get it to hold around 200 degrees instead of holding at 240. Does the engine have a automatic cut back on rpm if it hits a certain high temp? Does the transmission have a safety cut back in rpm if it gets to hot?---This is what is happening when it gets really hot. The radiator doesn't blow off and their isn't any leakage. I forgot to tell you that the unit has 78000 miles on it and I just bought it early spring 2015. Is there any major service work that should be done?

The transmission has no over temp safety feature other than locking the converter in more often, though it can pretty much cook it self to death. The engine can run worse when to hot and can limit power. Based on year and mileage I would replace all filters, plugs, and use fuel injector cleaner in the tank.

Hello again Chris here,

1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.

2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.

3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help and or need me to help more. If so please do reply.

4) I have an option to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help.

Thanks Chris