Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I am considering buying 1998 Newmar Dutch Star 38ft deisel

Customer Question

I am considering buying 1998 Newmar Dutch Star 38ft deisel pusher,owner says it's a 300 horsepower cummins engine but does not know what type or liter size of engine.Coach is***** can you offer any information before I make the drive
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert..

Click HERE for some info for that year, it will provide some more info for you. 1998 was a big change in engines, most likely this is going to be an isb 5.9L and if that is the case there was an issue with some of the engine blocks. Normally on the back of the engine will be a sticker and it will say ISB or ISC, prior to 1998 the engine where mechanical. In any event click HERE to read an article about the "53" block. IF you get the engine serial number I might be able to see if I can find out more info. It would be on a sticker on the engine near the valve cover.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert