Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a dometic rm 2354 fridge. It works great on lp and

Customer Question

I have a dometic rm 2354 fridge. It works great on lp and ac. When I go to 12 volts it draws about 15 amps and doesent cool the fridge. Last time I tried it while driving down the road it ruined the alternator voltage regulator. Any ideas?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert..

This sounds like it could be a faulty heating element for the fridge if it works on AC and LP. What you can do is ohm out the DC element and see if it is good or not. You would follow the leads from the flue canister to the circuit board and unplug the wires, with a meter set to ohms, ohm the wires back to the element, you should have .96 ohms. If it is not in range I would replace it. The fridge needs good DC power so I might also have the batteries load tested to make sure they are good, most auto parts stores will test them for free... Click HERE for a service manual, and see page 11.... If the element is good and the incoming voltage is good then I would be looking at the circuit board as a possible problem. Hope this helps, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisifed with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping... Robert