Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I know very little about engines. I bought a 1976 dodge

Customer Question

I know very little about engines. I bought a 1976 dodge sportsman V8 and was told it has a 400ci engine. There is a hole on the engine where i was told the manual fuel pump was but it is removed and oil comes out and is getting all over the engine. Question one is Can i fab a plate myself for this hole or does something else need to go here. an electronic fuel pump installed with a switch for it by the drivers seat. So if i turn it on and leave it on the gas comes out of the top of the carb if left on more than about 5 min. Question two should i get a whole new edelblock 4 barrel carb. Will it fit. I have a two barrel now that is Holley and was told it likes to send up fireballs hence the nickname of the motorhome. Uh!!
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

Can you get back to me with the VIN number and I can verify the engine size. It does sound like someone has been messing with this that perhaps didn't know a whole lot. You might want to go back to what was stock here as it will run well with that equipment. Get back to me with this and I can give you more here.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
F34CF5V003421
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

The VIN number has 17 digits.............

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Ill have to go check on the dash or engine to see if different from the title
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

They must have left part of it out............let me see if that is enough.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sure enough its only the 13! Doubt it but you could try adding the serial # ***** brings it to 17. That is 5612
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
That is the number on the title and inside the drivers door from the fsctory
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
did you find what you were looking for
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what kind of oil should i put in the engine
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

I can't get it from that...........I will need the block number to I.D. the engine. Let's get that first and then we can discuss more specifics.

Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

The information I show on this says it came with a 360 engine. Let me check some other sources and get back to you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Where do i look on the block for the number
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

Usually towards the rear embossed into the casting.

Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

On this one, it should be on the left hand side of the engine diwn by the soft plugs under the exhaust manifold. It may have been a 400 and we can tell once y0u have that.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I saw(###) ###-####360-3 are they good #s
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

Let me check that and see what comes up.........

Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

I am attaching a link to the casting number guide for you. See the last few on the list. Perhaps yours is a(###) ###-####and that would indicate it is a 400 engine. Hope that helps here! http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/reference_castingnumbers1.php