Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I know very little about engines. I bought a 1976 dodge

Customer Question

I know very little about engines. I bought a 1976 dodge sportsman V8 and was told it has a 400ci engine. There is a hole on the engine where i was told the manual fuel pump was but it is removed and oil comes out and is getting all over the engine. Question one is Can i fab a plate myself for this hole or does something else need to go here. an electronic fuel pump installed with a switch for it by the drivers seat. So if i turn it on and leave it on the gas comes out of the top of the carb if left on more than about 5 min. Question two should i get a whole new edelblock 4 barrel carb. Will it fit. I have a two barrel now that is Holley and was told it likes to send up fireballs hence the nickname of the motorhome. Uh!!
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Can you get back to me with the VIN number and I can verify the engine size. It does sound like someone has been messing with this that perhaps didn't know a whole lot. You might want to go back to what was stock here as it will run well with that equipment. Get back to me with this and I can give you more here.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
F34CF5V003421
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

The VIN number has 17 digits.............

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ill have to go check on the dash or engine to see if different from the title
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

They must have left part of it out............let me see if that is enough.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sure enough its only the 13! Doubt it but you could try adding the serial # ***** brings it to 17. That is 5612
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That is the number on the title and inside the drivers door from the fsctory
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
did you find what you were looking for
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
what kind of oil should i put in the engine
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

I can't get it from that...........I will need the block number to I.D. the engine. Let's get that first and then we can discuss more specifics.

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

The information I show on this says it came with a 360 engine. Let me check some other sources and get back to you.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Where do i look on the block for the number
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Usually towards the rear embossed into the casting.

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

On this one, it should be on the left hand side of the engine diwn by the soft plugs under the exhaust manifold. It may have been a 400 and we can tell once y0u have that.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I saw(###) ###-####360-3 are they good #s
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Let me check that and see what comes up.........

Expert:  Randall replied 8 months ago.

I am attaching a link to the casting number guide for you. See the last few on the list. Perhaps yours is a(###) ###-####and that would indicate it is a 400 engine. Hope that helps here! http://www.rosevillemoparts.com/reference_castingnumbers1.php