gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

Where is the power converter located? I have no ac power in

Customer Question

where is the power converter located ?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a RV. The RV Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: I have no ac power in the rv and my supply is good i checked all fuses and breakers all good
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes hopefully
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: breakers and fuses are good and checked aal supply
JA: Is there anything else the RV Mechanic should be aware of about your RV?
Customer: first indication, of power problem, was the tv smoked in the upstairs bedroom, lost all ac power on left side of rv
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the RV Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

What is this in?

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Look at your load center where all the fuses and breakers are and give me the make of that unit. Many are made by Magnetek or WFCO or several others. Once I know this I can direct you further here.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
2003 jayco legacy 3610
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Check the load center and give me the make.......some converters are integral with them and some are a stand alone unit.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I don't know where it's located, that was my original question.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Look along the floorline for a dark brown or black cover about 18" wide. No manuals for this? The cover opens up to show the fuses and service breakers.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
ok, got that, this is wife now, he's unscrewing the cover, the manual shows nothing of course... it's a IDP-240 and/or IOTA
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Most Iota units have a stand alone converter. It can be several places. What is the actual problem here?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No ac power from outlets on left side
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
During the last several months, dim lights, and the power seems to come and go, like when on the computer the computer will go dim and suggest changing to an outlet immediately.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

That won't be a converter problem.........but, either a breaker that is tripped OR a tripped out GFCI outlet. Flip all the service breakers off and then back on again. If that doesn't help, then check the GFCI plugs. One in the kitchen area and one in the bathroom. Have you checked the batteries lately? All 12 VDC power has to go through them. If they are over 3 years old they may be bad and need replacing. Or they may be low on water. I am making a phone chat offer for you as that may be faster and more productive.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Have already done all of the suggested above. All the 12V lights are working. Just no ac, have flipped all the breakers off and back on and the outside power supply is good.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The bedroom light shut off and immediatley turned back on this morning, and then the tv started smoking.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Check the GFCI outlets. Push the button in to reset them. The bedroom light should be a 12 VDC powered light. Was there a power surge in the park or where you are hooked up? You may need a mobile tech to come over to your location and run some tests

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
a power surge, we are on our own property. Have checked and double checked the gfci.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Are you using any adapter on the power cord or any extension cords?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Our supply cord is hooked directly into a 50 amp
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Did you report this to the power company?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Lol, power surges are an everyday thing here, they installed a new substation a few years ago but this problem still exists. We're rural, northeastern Ca.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Where? I live in Yreka.........

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Do you have a surge protector on your cord? IF NOT, you should get one.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Mu hubbs seems to think that the supply breakers may be the problem.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
If it was trying to run on 12v when this happened could that be the reason it smoked the tv?
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

You can check them if you have a small digital multimeter like you can find at most automotive or hardware stores for about $20. Perhaps, if the batteries were low and you were on an inverter. Low voltage raises the amperage and thus the heat in the circuit and cooks things!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
That's probably what happened. :( going to store to buy multimeter. Thanks for helping us work through this!
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

You are welcome..........get back to me later and I can help you test this.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will do!
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Great!

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Randall, the battery on my laptop got to low yesterday to talk to you further, this is Sue, you were helping my husband Brian yesterday on our rv. I see you had asked where we're located, we live in Lookout, an east of Burney. We came down last night to stay with our folks in Red Bluff and are going to be researching and speaking to techs tomorrow in the Redding area. I was wondering if you do, or would consider mobile work IF Brian is unable to correct and fix our electrical problem, and if you do, approx costs? It may end up being a case of either we pack up the trailer and tow it down here for repairs or find someone willing to travel that far. Thanks for your help! Sue
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

I might be able to come that far...........I know where Lookout is. Did you pick up a meter so we can do some testing?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Randall he bought a meter.
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

When will he be ready for some testing............and is Lookout only 80 population?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Tee,hee, hee, yes, that sounds about right for the population! he is exhausted and just went to lay down for a nap, we'd just gotten him back from the Reno VA, he has a broken leg, so this compounded with the day we had yesterday did him in! so, when he wakes later, I'll relate our convo with him and get back to you! I appreciate your quick response and time Randall, and am also glad that your somewhat close to us and not back East somewhere!
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

No hurry.............I will be around and will watch for your post. I was reading about the big lynching in 1901. Hadn't heard that story before.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Yep, the ranchers, the Leventen's, that were involved in the lynching are very close friends of ours. The bridge is still there, although not in use anymore. Lookout has quite the history. The "Halls" who were hung, are located in the very back of the Lookout cemetery, and their graves are still isolated, and unattended!
Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

One of my techs was just by that area on Friday.............on Hwy 89 going to Reno to pick up a trailer we are repairing.

Expert:  Randall replied 9 months ago.

Are you planning on doing some testing on this?