Chris (aka-Moose), RV Mechanic
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

1999 bounder f53 ford v10 triton 7000 miles 28 ft

Customer Question

1999 bounder f53 ford v10 triton 7000 miles 28 ft speedometer when working will not allow transmission to shift out of 2nd gear.At full stop then heavy throttle out onto highway speedmeter will not see any speed and remain not functioning remain at zero speed and allow transmission to operate thru all shifts.As soon as speedometer begins to work prohibits transmission from shifting out of 2nd gear.Requires driver to come to complete stop and accelerate heavily to prevent the speedomerter from working.Then transmission functions properly.Local fleetwood mechanics no clue.Also gas gauge is stuck on full.Help me please!
Category: RV
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

When the speedometer is not working, are the shifts smooth/harsh early/delayed?

Any warning lights on or flashing?

Do you have a scan tool that can see PCM inputs?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
When the speedometer is not working,the transmission shifts smoothly and as designed.If the speedometer begins to work at intial throttle,the transmission refuses to shift out of second gear,and down shifting irraticly.I do not have a scan tool.What type do I need?I will purchase one.There are no warning lights on or flashing.
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 12 months ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** pretty much working backwards. Speedo working smooth shifts. Speedo not working poor shifts. Yours is opposite.

When the speedometer is not working, since you are getting smooth shifts this means the computer is getting an accurate speed signal. Your vehicle gets its speed signal from the ABS module which gets the speed signal from the rear axle speed sensor. So we need a scan tool that can access the PCM and ABS and watch there sensor inputs and signal inputs. We need to know if the rear axle speed sensor is intermittent and we need to know if the PCM VSS signal matches the ABS and falls in line with the speedometer. It is going to take an expensive tool like a shop uses to do this. For example I use a Ford IDS that is my own and it was 2800$. I use a OTC for all other makes and it was 1600$ used on ebay many years ago.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

I like to stay in contact with my customers. I assume you were not pleased with me or my answer since you did not rate it leaving me feedback. Just so you know we can still work on this issue. We can pick up where we left off or start over. I hate you paid all that money for your question deposit and have left not satisfied. Would any diagrams or repair guides or a phone call help?.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have the motorhome in transmission shop this morning.I'll let you know the out come. Bob Liberati
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for keeping in touch Bob.