Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

1999 seabreeze auxiliary batteries not charging

Customer Question

Category: RV
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
THEY DON'T CHARGE WITH THE GENERATOR OR PLUG IN
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

This could be a power converter or breaker issue. Many times on the charge line from the converter to the battery they will use an auto breaker, below is a picture, as a general ruleif you had one it would be 18" from the battery it could be on the frame or inside a battery control box. Some are thermal and self-reset and others have a tiny tab that pops out when they trip, follow the cable back and see if you can locate one. The voltage on each post to chassis ground should be close, if one side has high voltage and the other low it is the issue. The other issue is the power converter, the power converter will charge the battery when you are plugged in or the generator is going. The power converter will be built into the main fuse/breaker panel OR stand alone and plug into an outlet. The stand alone style can be located in several areas, behind the breaker panel, under the fridge or stove etc. The stand alone style will have two fuses on it. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. Robert

Breaker.

Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

Also I would have the batteries load tested if you have not done so, it is possible the converter is charging but the batteries may not accept a charge if they are weak or in poor condition.... Not sure if you had them tested, most auto parts stores will check them for free....

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to follow up. IF you need time to check things out and get back to me that is fine, I am around daily and respond when I can. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping.... Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
i have the stand alone converter, i don't see any fuses on it. it is self contained. i see a little breaker its on the fuse panel, has the little button, i don't think it was tripped, but i pushed it and will see what happens batteries are new. i waited and it is not charging is there anyway to check the converter to see if it is working
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

OK

What is the make and model of the converter, you really need a volt meter to check the converter output and the breaker. Sometimes on some converters the fuses are on the back side where the cables are coming out.... Robert

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
magnetek 900 series converter
Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

OK

This should help, click HERE and you can see the flow of power, the converter will plug into an outlet which needs power, the red and white are the DC output so plugged in you should have about 13 volts. From there you will see the charge cable going to the battery, that cable should have voltage as well, if that cable has voltage then there has to be a breaker or fuse between the converter and battery preventing the charge. I know on some you will have a battery control box outside that the charge cable will run through, I would look one more time for anymore breakers and check voltage on each post to chassis ground and see if you can locate where the voltage is missing. Hope this makes sense, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 9 months ago.

Hi.... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped?

Thanks, Robert