Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My name is ***** *****. I have replaced the starter, starter

Customer Question

My name is ***** *****. I have replaced the starter, starter solenoid, plugs, wires, condenser, rebuilt carburetor, fuel pump, squirted oil in spark plug holes, and the new starter is getting hot to the touch. The engine is not turning over. It acts like a dead battery. This is a 90 model 6500 Emerald plus
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i had it hooked up to my diesel truck and jump start pack. pull the plugs and this turns easy. Compression is 80 to 90 pounds
JA: OK got it. Last thing — RV Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

Double check the polarity to be sure that is correct first. Then, are you sure that the starter isn't in a bind on the Bendix? It might be a defective starter. Getting hot has to pretty much one of two things...........either is has a direct short OR it is bound up and is hot from not being able to turn over for some reason. You might take it out again and try it on the bench and see if it spins freely that way. Not a good idea to run these over about 10 seconds and then let them rest a minute or so. IF you are holding the starter button down for long periods trying to start the set, it will get hot. HOpe that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.