Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

My solar panel on my motorhome reads 9.25vdc. this seems way

Customer Question

my solar panel on my motorhome reads 9.25vdc. this seems way too low to charge the battery. there is a button on the controller which doesn't seem to change anything when I press it, so I don't know when it is on or off. The fuses both look okay
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Are you reading that on the panel feed OR out of the controller? Is this in bright sun or not? Get back to me with this information and the size of your panel and brand of controller and I can offer more here. All follow ups are included in our fee. And please include the watts rating and voltage of your panel.

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you still need some additional input from me on this issue?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have replaced the EPIP20-d controller with a 30A controller with a digital readout in V & A, now it is charging the batt. but seems slow, but may be OK because it was afternoon, so the panel may have shut down a bit because of the heat from the sun. when I start the engine, the controller is charging at about 12.5v, so it appears to be working ok. My solar panel is about 90cm X 70cm,.
Is this large enough to charge 1 battery, or do I need another panel?
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

That will be kind of slow for battery charging and you might want to add another. Most of these are "plug and play" and adding one is easy and your controller is plenty large enough. That would handle up t 450 watts of output which is 6 -75 watt panels. Thanks for getting back to me and a positive rating on my assistance would be appreciated!