Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.
19372534

Is there a starter to the model 2.7aj-1r/12020m serial #

Customer Question

is there a starter to the model 2.7aj-1r/12020m serial # ***** It just clicks when pushing remote starter and the switch on the engine Its in a 1977 Dodge 1 ton van conversion. can you cross the solenoid like on the old fords to see if it will turn it over to check the starter if it has one and to see if solenoid is bad. is there any hand cranking this unit to see if its froze up. also where is the best place to get parts on line or repair close to 52501 Ottumwa Iowa
Category: RV
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

I see no one has replied with the info you are looking for on this here.In some cases this can be due to the info being difficult to obtain or the correct person that may have this info may not be online.You may want to speak with a dealer or repair center that works on this model here to see if you can obtain the starting diagrams and info on this to see if this helps pinpoint the fault.I believe it does use a starter and the starter itself may be faulty.I do not show or see on this model if there is a way to hand crank it myself.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
your answer is ask someone that knows? that's why I'm asking u is there a starter and where and what does it look like can u jump the solenoid????

Unfortunately this is all of the info I have on this myself here but someone else here may be able to help further.I saw no one had posted anything at all so I thought I would try and help in some way on this.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Onan rv generator I may have thought you would know by the model and serial # ***** anyone can answer this or even have a schematic of it
Expert:  Hank F. replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am going to assist you with this.

The AJ units do not have a separate mechanical starter. They use what is called an inertia start system. Basically, it feeds DC voltage through some special windings in the generator, and uses the generator as an electric motor to get the engine cranking. Once the engine starts, and the generator starts putting out AC, the cranking circuit is disabled.

Yes, you can jump the solenoid to see if the engine will crank. It will not hurt it.

As far a manually cranking it, there is a bolt through the end of the rotor that you should be able to get a wrench on to turn it. But if yours has a Vac-Flo system, you might not be able to access it.

You are going to be very hard pressed to find parts for this unit, other than basic tune up items like plugs and points. This unit has been obsolete for years.