Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Breckinridge 35' Park Model M-835M63.. I have a electrical

Customer Question

Breckinridge 35' Park Model M-835M63..
I have a electrical humming sound behind the bathroom cabinet that just started for the first time this morning. I have turned off the main trailer power, gas and drained the water line. The humming continues. But again, "only" behind the bathroom cabinet. I have looked under the trailer and do not see a battery or battery rack (the hitch is removed and stored under the trailer in this model as the trailer is permanently mounted)
I have removed the cabinet and only see back boxes for the built in cabinet three lights which are an integral part of the cabinet. The humming sound continued after removing the cabinet.
***@******.***
Category: RV
Expert:  Blake Pankratz replied 10 months ago.

It sounds like the humming could be coming from the lights in the cabinet. Are the lights fluorescent or LED? If they are fluorescent you might have a ballast going bad that needs to be replaced. If LED you would probably have one bad fixture. Are you able to find out which light style you have? Or are you able to send a picture if the lights themselves?

Also the easiest way to test this is disconnect the lights one at a time and see if the noise stops, indicating that fixture would be the bad one.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
All power is off at the main electrical feed so it would not be the bathroom lights....unless this model has a battery stand-by which I have not found by crawling under and looking around the trailer. Does this unit have a battery? If so how do I access to disconnect?

I'm sorry Iam not very fimilliar with Breckenridges as we do not have very many around here. If your power is disconnected though your noise should not be electrical, UNLESS you do have a battery. Which leads me to think you do. But i can not co nfirm this. I will opt out of the question and let someone else answer who will know more specifics on your Breckenridge model. Thanks.

Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

I keep reading your question and one thing that pops into mind is if you have a hot water heater in this area? Is there an outside access panel on the outside near that bathroom cabinet? Sometimes they will put a check valve on the water heater and if it fails and under pressure it can make a humming noise, not only that sometimes the circuit board for the water heater could also make a noise... IF the water heater is in that area please get me the make and model of it. I am not sure on the battery normally it is up front, under the steps they like to keep them vented to the air.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is an Atwood L.P. gas water heater Model 10-E. However the hot water heater is on the opposide of the bathroom wall cabinet where the sound comes from. Further, the bathroom sink hot / cold water lines come from "below" the sink or under the trailer, not in the wall above the sink where the sound is
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

OK

Was just an idea as I have heard them make a buzzing sound when the check valve fails. There are still other experts that might have some input on this, I will put your question back up so others can respond.... Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

One good way to see if you have a battery is to disconnect the AC power and see if any of the 12 VDC powered systems work. IF they do, you will have a battery someplace. The humming can very well be a bad ballast if these are fluorescent fixtures as those ballasts are 12 VDC powered in most coaches. One thing for sure...........it has to be electrical or from water moving. Can you attach a photo of the "black boxes" in question. And what is on the other side of the bathroom wall? Anything that might cause this? Please get back to me if you need more and we can sort this out. I will also make a phone chat option available for you as some customers like that method.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Turning off the primary external AC power to trailer turns off all electrical appliances and lights. Therefore it appears not to have a 12vDC stand-by battery. I have removed the three "over the wall cabinet"'light bulbs per earlier suspicion of a ballast problem. Their removal did stop the hum. By the way, behind this area is bedroom. In the upper wall is a recessed wood enclosure which appears to have been installed for a bedroom TV. Inside this recessed wood enclosure is a 110V power outlet and a BNC TV antenna connection. Neither is being used as we do not have a TV in this area. To remove the wood enclosure wood be a major effort as it appears to be glued in place (no screws)
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

Pretty strange.......I don't know any other reason for a hum in there with no power on or if this isn't a water issue. No chance of a water leak underneath that would be causing a water caused vibration in that area? That would be worth checking.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Good thought. I have turned off the primary water line and drained (bled) the trailer water by opening the sink faucet. The sounds remained. The propane gas guy shut off and drained his gas lines. Hum remainded
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

About the only other thing that comes to mind here is some kind of vibration in the vent line off the plumbing. Sewer gas might be building up in that vent due to some kind of debris like wasp's nests in the top and allowing it to vibrate as they escape...............long shot for sure! Pretty strange and one I haven't seen before.........at least with no good explanation.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Possible but no sewer gas should be present as we are hard connected to the septic system.Regardless, I will check out the vents for possible bees or other critter nests
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

It can still come back out that way through the vents...........and you have to have something that vibrates here OR else you just have some kind of earth harmonics there. When did this start?

Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

And where are you? No chance some kind of critters in the vents? That can happen in warmer climates, but I would think not in colder areas.

Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

Maybe a bees nest in the wall?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We are in the California Central Coast area.I think then humming is to consistently uniform to be bees. Plus it oscillates like an electrical hum
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

That can't be if all the power is off...........that pretty much rules that out, unless there is a battery someplace and even then there has to be something there connected to power. And bees hum all the time...... Did this just start up?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It started yesterday morningUpdate: 10 minutes ago the sound mysteriously ceased, while all AC power, gas and water were on and operating. This is indeed a mystery. I will let you know if it returns.
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

"They" must have heard us discussing this............LOL!

Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

Sometimes you will get a "humming" sound from the LP regulator, but I have never heard of it coming from the bathroom cabinet. Your LP regulator isn't underneath there is it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No it is on the opposite side of the trailer
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

Thought so, but didn't want to exclude anything that it might be...........thanks for giving us a shout here at Just Answer!