Cat Man
Cat Man, Cat Engine Expert
Experience:  23 years Caterpillar Engine experience
30708357

My 2007 Tuscany with Cat C7 engine 350 HP has lack of power

Customer Question

My 2007 Tuscany with Cat C7 engine 350 HP has lack of power and shakes under load at all speeds.Was running fine until I stopped for fuel, when I accelerated the engine started shaking under load and had to shift to low gear and keep RPM up.
Category: RV
Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for asking your question. I will try and help you out.

Does the yellow check engine light come on while driving? Or just low power and no light?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Low power and no lights
Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for the information.

Since the check engine light does not come on, I would suspect 1 of 3 things are causing your problem.

The first is you picked up some bad fuel. It may have water in it. I say this since you just filled up.

Second is low fuel pressure. If there is a low fuel pressure problem, the check engine light will not come on and the engine will have low power. Your engine should maintain a fuel pressure between 65 and 85 psi. There is a plug beside of the secondary fuel filter that is used to check the pressure. If it is low, I would first try the fuel filters if you haven’t already. If it is still low, you may have a failed fuel pressure regulator, which is located on the back of the cylinder head. I have replaced a ton of these for low fuel pressure. It is kinda a known problem. You could also have a weak fuel transfer pump or restricted hand primer pump, if your engine has one.

Third I would suspect you have a low boost condition. This can be caused by a leak in the air piping or air to air aftercooler on the truck. I would first inspect all of the piping to see if there is a hole in any of the rubber boots that hold the pipes. From there you may want to cap off one side of the air to air cooler, and pressurize it. They have been known to crack and leak and cause low boost.

Please let me know if you need more help or have more questions.

Expert:  Cat Man replied 10 months ago.

Hey. I just wanted to see how things were going. Please let me know if you need more help. I am happy to assist. If my information was helpful, please leave a good or higher rating so that I receive credit. Thanks.