Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Phil Sw6d will not light no clicking sounds reset is not

Customer Question

Customer: Phil Sw6d will not light no clicking sounds reset is not tripped
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: turn switch on goes through the 3 time start up then red light stays on camper is 2 months old
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to RV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

hi my name is Robert....

This could be a few things. To start go to the outside access panel, you will see the electrode, or what sparks and below the electrode is the burner tube, get an air nozzle and blow out the burner tube really good, sometimes debris or bugs can get into the burner tuber and cause the water heater not to light off. Make sure the electrode is about 1/8" over the burner tube. Pull the connector on the board and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser, sometimes this can be a weak link at that connection point. Since it is sparking it also could be a LP pressure issue, go to the main tank valve and shut it, slowly open it back up, sometimes if the valve is opened to fast the regulator can lock up and you might not get the proper pressure. IF all the above does not help I would have the circuit board tested, these boards do fail and most RV stores/shops will have a special board tester and can tell if the board is bad. IF the camper is brand new I might consider having it looked at under warranty. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

If you have more questions on this please feel free to respond, follow ups are always included. Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I
I have heat in the camper so the heater is getting propane does this change the answer
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

Just because the heater is working does not mean the LP pressure is not correct. It would be hard for you to check the pressure without a manometer. So that has to be ruled out for now. I would blow the burner tube out, check the electrode make sure it is 1/8" over the burner tube. I might also pull the gas orifice and soak it in alcohol. IF it is sparking then it could be the electrode, board or LP issue. It really is a process of elimination on these. IF you would like a service manual I can send one to you as well..... IF it is not sparking go to the outside access panel and you will see a raised black box with two circles, gently push them in, one is high limit cut off and will shut power down, if that was the case the water heater would not even be sparking.... Hope this helps some more. IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating at the top of the page, you can still follow up with me if needed, I am around daily and respond when I can... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

If you like we can also do a phone service, there is an additional charge for that but it might be helpful.....

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

Hi I was just checking in to see if my answer helped, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, I am around daily and respond when I can....

Thanks, Robert

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No I did some more troubleshooting wiring problem
Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

OK

My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, I only get credit when you select a rating, if you are not satisfied I can request a refund for you. I am fine in whatever you decide... Robert