Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Batteries dying changed converter converter is staying in

Customer Question

batteries dying changed converter converter is staying in float mode if converter kicks in charges batteries everything fine
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

Did you change out the batteries? And what is the make and model of your converter or load center?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
new battery 2 week ago everstart 840 amps converter is wfco 9800 65 amp
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

How are you determining that it is staying on float mode? Is that a Deep Cycle battery or not?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
battery is aguamarine when converter kicks in everything works just fine but not energizing running ooff batteries light dim refrigerator don t work furnace don t work so we know when it power up
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

Are you taking a DC voltage reading when this happens? It can be one of two things. Either the converter is failing OR the battery may have an internal short. Even brand new batteries fail frequently. Get a small digital multimeter and take some DC voltage readings when this happens. Either AT the load center where the wires from the converter hook up OR at the batteries. OR both. It can be a bad shortstop breaker in the line that may be failing. Be sure that the polarity and leads are correct as well. Lots of wiring mistakes we see here. That can do this. If you can take a photo of the battery hookups and attach it to your post, I may be able to tell you something from that. Let me know how the test comes out. Most places that sell batteries can load test them for you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
haven t metered output yet changed new converter yesterday everything fine today same before battery dying nothing work in camper thinking about powering converter at different source I did hook additional charer to battery and this caused converter to power up everything fine but I will not be back to camper til Monday which I am sure I will find dead battery and no furnace no refrigator working
Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

O.K...........and I can make a phone chat offer in case you want to do that. Many of our customers like that when they aren't next to a computer.

Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

Just checking back in, Max, to see if you were able to take some reading on the converter? Let me know if we need to dig deeper into this issue. Thanks!