Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have an 84 pace arrow with 3 batteries all are showing low

Customer Question

I have an 84 pace arrow with 3 batteries all are showing low volts. How do I jump start it. Won't turn over or nothing. Batteries are one yr old. Rv is a hunting wagon so we don't start it on a regular basis.
Category: RV
Expert:  Wayne replied 11 months ago.

Hi I'm Wayne

I will help you with this

all you have to do is hook the pos of jumper to the last end battery,

and then NEG to the last end battery

I hope this helped you

Hi if this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

If you need more info, use request button

Not Poor/Bad service

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When you say last end battery, does that mean the far right or far left one?
Expert:  Wayne replied 11 months ago.

Hi

Thank you for that

it is where the last battery leads off with 2 cables

if all batteries are 12 volt , does not matter where you hook thm,

just POs to POS , NEG to Neg

I hope this helped you

Hi if this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

Not Poor/Bad service

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Actually, it does make a difference here. Two of those batteries are "house batteries" and one is the "start" battery. IF you want to jump this in order to start the engine, you need to jump the start battery.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I figured it would. The battery I just hooked to made lights and things work inside. Nothing as far as lights on the Rv or wipers or motor cranking. I assume that one is one of the house batteries. And I assume the other battery that has a ton of wires hooked to it is the other house battery?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Randall are you there?
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

The house battery is on the right........and you hook up the positive cable first and then the negative cable. Those match the corresponding terminals on the battery with the one you are using. Then disconnect the negative cable first. That should allow you to start it.

Expert:  Wayne replied 11 months ago.

Hi I Started this wit you

Why randel came in ???

He is not correct ,

all the batteries are hooked together , correct , so How Can 1 battery be for coach

if you dfo as Isuggested , charge all batteries, from the end leads

you will not have a issues starting you RV

I hope this helped you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok, the only battery I hooked to so far is the left one(looking at the battery compartment). The middle has a bunch of extra wires on it. When I hooked to the left battery all appliances and lights inside came on full power. Nothing from the motor or driving lights or wipers. The car right battery only connects to the negative of the other batteries. Middle and left batteries connect to each other's pos.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I want to jump it and can't jump it from the left battery. I have no charger.
Expert:  Wayne replied 11 months ago.

Hi

What you need to do is what your jumper ,

is leave it on for 10 -15 minutes to build up all batterie,

reason being , they are all hooked together

so the dead ones are dragging the start batteries down

Make sense ??, if you had a remote thermometer or some

electrical device, if one goes bad all goes bad, it won't work

reason being, it draws down from weak battery

I hope this helped you

I have been working on trucks/RV system for 34 + years

I do understand the system

I hope this helped you

Hi if this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

Not Poor/Bad service

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Confusing to say the least! Those 3 batteries are ONLY connected when you hit the "Auxiliary Start" button on the dash. Otherwise, you need to just jump the center battery which is the start battery here. I don't know why they put it in the middle, but regardless.......that is the one to jump as I outlined before. You will have to decide which answer actually was correct and helped. Thanks! And please note that I am a Master Certified Technician and have a successful RV business.

Expert:  Wayne replied 11 months ago.

Hi

I also am a ASM certified Mechanic

in all aspects of the industry

what I told you is correct , think about it

all batteries hooked to together

I hope this helped you

Hi if this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

Not Poor/Bad service

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Please let me know how this turns out........thanks!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Actually hooked up to far right battery and got the fuel pump and lights and ignition to turn over. Checked volts while it was hooked up to left and middle battery and they both showed 12+ and the far right showed 1. Now it's charging. Took em off a bit ago and all three are now showing 11+
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Then they may have used various batteries as it appears that the center battery is wired up as the start battery and isn't a deep cycle battery. Coach batteries should be, cranking batteries not the best. IN a correct configuration, the two house batteries really be next to each other and wired up in parallel. That is positive to positive and negative to negative. Then when you use the Auxiliary Start switch it hooks them all together so if you have run the start battery down, you can still start up the engine using the house batteries. Make sense? When you hook up the shore cord the house batteries get charged OR when you run the generator. The chassis battery or start battery as it is called won't charge that way. It CAN be wired up to charge with some minor changes. Some owner's like that. Thanks for getting back to me. I appreciate your patience here and apologize for any confusion based on what the other person told you. Thanks for coming to Just Answer with your question! Be safe.............Randall

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Just so you know..........you want to keep charging them up until they show about 12.8 VDC which is fully charged. Most RV appliances won't work under 11 VDC.

Expert:  Wayne replied 11 months ago.

Morning

Yes you did what I suggested, keep booster on them

until you get them up to 12 + volts

Good job

I hope this helped you

Hi if this helped you

Please rate my answer 3 or more stars

Not Poor/Bad service

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

I might add that you should perhaps do a little rewiring here to simplfy the charging and you could add a solenoid so all of the batteries will charge when the shore cord is hooked up. Just a thought.............