Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

We have a 1997 31' of the Road 5th wheel. We are looking

Customer Question

We have a 1997 31' King of the Road 5th wheel. We are looking for a motor for the living room slideout and also the manual crank housing. Are either available anywhere? we cannot open the living room slide out. We are traveling in Arizona right now and near Tucson.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

I doubt that..........whose slideout hardware do you have here? I believe it should be Power Gear equipment. Did he hook up the motor directly to a good battery source and try it? That would be the first thing to do here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no he did not but we are plugged in to power.
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

That would be the first thing to check to eliminate the motor as the proximate cause. If you have bad batteries OR charging not up to specs that might cause this as well. If the batteries are over 3 years old there is a good chance they are needing replacement. The charging needs to be about 13.7 VDC at the batteries. The converter in those was an old Magnetek 900 series for the most part and it may need upgrading if that hasn't been done yet. IF you have a small digital multimeter we can do some testing to see what that is doing. About $$20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. Get back to me and I can direct you in the testing. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Okay we will try your suggestions. The tech in Yuma did test the power to the motor and the switch and all was well there. We will continue trying options. Thank you
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Even so...........if the motor is bad, it can be replaced. Can you get to it so you can give me a part number off of it? And you are quite welcome!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We will get in there in just a bit. We have someone coming to help as my husband is unable to.
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

O.K............get back to me with that and I can check on the motor. I would still have a good battery hooked up directly to it to see if it works or not.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
okay thank you
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

You are welcome!

Expert:  Randall replied 10 months ago.

Were you able to try the motor on direct battery hookup? Let me know if you need more on this and provide a part number off the motor if you can.