Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have 2014 Montana. The rear air conditioner leaks water

Customer Question

I have 2014 Montana. The rear air conditioner leaks water into the living area. Took the cowling off an nothing is plugging the weep holes and now damage is visible on the roof. Any suggestions?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Go inside and pull down the cover, look inside the AC unit and you will see four or 5 very long bolts running into the AC unit, in between the AC unit and roof is a rubber/foam gasket, make sure the bolts have not come loose, there is a torque rating on the bolts and it is only about 12" lbs, not ft pounds so it is not much at all, over time the bolts can loosen up to the point where you can turn them with your fingers. If the bolts are loose snug them all up and then put about 4 turns on each bolt, the gasket should be compressed about 1/2 way and should not be flat at all, if the mounting bolts are over-tightened then it can cause issues with the compressor. Some AC units will also have plastic drip cups under the AC unit and you would have to look under each side of the AC unit on the roof, they are under the pan if they were cracked they would leak inside instead of on the roof. Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The air conditioner does not appear inside the unit.
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

OK

You do not have a plastic cover for the ROOF AC unit? Most all roof AC units will have an inside shroud, and under the shroud you can look up into the AC unit and see the mounting bolts, what is the make and model of the AC unit?

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Also sometimes that cover will have caps over the screws, you have to use a scribe or small screw driver to pop them off to expose the screws after the screws are removed the cover comes down. I have seen on some units they will have some type of ceiling panel over the shroud and it makes it extremely difficult to work on. I would think it would be leaking in the location of the inside shroud.... IF you still need more help please let me know, having a hard time thinking you do not have that inside cover, if needed send some pictures of the area the water is coming from.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Was just checking in to see if my answer helped OR if you have more questions or concerns...

Thanks, Robert