Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

We have a raptor 425ts. The fireplace is not working as well

Customer Question

We have a raptor 425ts. The fireplace is not working as well as the microwave has no heat when cooking any ideas why?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

These might be related, are you using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord? Do you have a 30 amp or 50 amp service? Also what year is the Raptor?

Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Raptor is 2015
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
50 amp service
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

OK

And are you using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord that you plug in with?

Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Nope. And microwave is on but there is no heat. Fireplace is not coming on at all. And we are in the snow with 3 little kids
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Are u still there?
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

OK

This could be an issue with the incoming voltage if the microwave is not heating and the fireplace is not working. Both these items are AC powered so the very first thing I would do is get a polarity checker and check the polarity of the outlet the microwave is plugged into, what this will do is tell you if there is a wiring problem, if there is a wiring problem then it will have to be found and repaired, if this is a 2015 it might be covered under warranty. What I would also do if you can is run a heavy duty extension cord and the plug the microwave into an outside source, if the microwave works normally then you know it is a wiring problem inside the RV. IF the microwave does NOT work then it would have to be looked at or replaced. The fireplace should also plug in and should have a breaker for that, if voltage is present and the polarity is good then it should be turning on. I know you are out camping but if the polarity and voltage checks out at the plugs then I would have a mobile service come have a look... Yes still here it takes a few mins to respond.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Also when you are on a 50 amp service you will have two 110 hot legs to the main breaker inside, it is possible if you had an issue with just one hot leg that some of the other AC powered items would still work. I also checked for recalls and bulletins and did not see anything on this... I would start by checking the polarity out....

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating...... Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
there is no polarity issue. We are still having difficulties, stay with me Robert 👍
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We have power, but no high power
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Right if there was a connection problem or a problem with the source then you might get low power, could be the source, the cord or a connection issue at the breaker panel. IF the voltage is under 105 volts at the outlets then there is an issue. Are the lights also getting dim at all? When you are plugged in the power converter will take the AC voltage and make the DC voltage. SO if you had a problem with the AC voltage it could affect the DC voltage. It is really hard for me to say where your issue is as it could be the source, cord, loose connection etc..... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

were you able to plug the microwave in with an extension cord? I think this will tell if it is an issue with the microwave or the incoming voltage.

Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
we did and there was still no heat
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

OK

So it really sounds like the microwave is at fault. The only thing that can cause the microwave to fail is if you plugged into 220 or there is an actual problem with the microwave, I do not think you are going to be able to fix that. As far as the fireplace I would try and confirm you have AC power going to it if so then I would have it looked at. I would run the LP furnace for heat that should be more then enough to keep the interior heated. Sometimes for known issues they will issue recalls or bulletins and I did not see any. If you are going to be in the area I might get a mobile tech to come out if possible and have a look, not so sure it is going to be an easy fix. IF you want to try another expert please let me know, my goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 10 months ago.

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert