Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I'm working on a early 90s onan generator emerald plus 4000

Customer Question

Hi ,I'm working on a early 90s onan generator emerald plus 4000 .it will not start on its own unless I exite the 12v lead on coil with jumper then it will run all day and start every time unless I let it sit for a half hour then I have to jump 12v side of coil again I'm thinking control module? Any advise would help thanks frank
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Is this hooked up to a 12 VDC battery or not? What is the complete model number off the data plate? Get back to me with this information and I can assist you further.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it's in a rv and starts off 12v battery I will grab more info off data tag in morning sorry had left rv
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I am enclosing a link to some trouble shooting guides for you that should help. I suspect that the bride rectifier is bad as that would keep the 12 VDC supplied to the set to keep it running. At least this is on BGE sets as shown. If you have a different model, please let me know. Print this out as it is some great information and the parts they sell are superior in most cases to the OEM parts from Onan and less expensive. Please get back to me later if you need more or have some other info to shed light on this. All follow ups are included in our fee. http://www.flightsystems.com/pdf/onan-rv-troubleshooing-guide.pdf

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

That should have been "bridge rectifier" there..............long day and my fingers are tired!