Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

What should the oil pressure be 76 GMC motorhome. 455 olds.

Customer Question

what should the oil pressure be for my 76 GMC motorhome. 455 olds. what weight oil ?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

Most owners will run with 15W 50 oil, the pressure should be 50 psi oil pressure cold, 40 psi hot @ 55 mph, and 20 psi hot idle... It could be a faulty gauge or sender and the first step would be to hook up a mechanical gauge on the side of the block to read the pressure to rule out the sender or gauge. I might have a shop take a look at this and have the oil pressure taken off the side of the block and then go from there. This is an older unit and my info is limited but the first step would be to get an accurate reading off the block over time the sender can fail or the gauge.... Hope this helps some. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert