rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

We have a 96 fleetwood southwind with a big block fuel

Customer Question

We have a 96 fleetwood southwind with a big block fuel injected Chevy engine. We are stuck on the side of the road. The engine started sputtering and stalled out. I was able to get it restarted and get to an auto parts store and put a new fuel filter on. It started right back up, went another ten miles and it died again. The pump in the tank is coming on when the key is turned to acc. I'm getting fuel up to the top of the engine before the injection system. I'm getting spark from the coil, but it still won't start. My accessory batteries are showing like they are dead but they are brand new. Not sure what is going on. The engine cranks but will not start. The generator will not crank since the accessory batteries are dead. I don't have a fuel pressure gauge with me so I can't check that. Any help would be appreciated.
Category: RV
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

This sounds like you lost the fuel pump. You need tp test the pressure with a gauge to confirm this. Also double check the spark at a spark plug to be sure we don't have a bad CRANK sensor.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Ron,
Thanks for the reply. Would I still be getting fuel at the fitting before the injection if the fuel pump were bad? I cracked it open, turned the key on and gas came shooting out. Also I can hear it turn on when I turn the key to accessory. That's what has me really stumped. Might the fuel pump still work but not be delivering the right pressure? Not sure if it's related or not but both of my accessory batteries are completely dead. They are only four months old. I had to swap the starting battery with one of them to get the generator started. I don't think that would have anything to do with fuel problems but seams weird that it would happen at the same time. Now that the generator is running it should charge the batteries correct?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I swapped the dead battery with a good one, got in the RV and it fired right up. Drove it to the next exit (about 10 miles) and parked in a Walmart parking lot. Took the dead battery out and put a new one in its place, and now it won't start again. I was able to skateboard over to the auto parts store and picked up a fuel pressure gauge and a new fuel pump. Planning on dropping the tank and putting in the new pump in the morning. Do you know what the fuel pressure should be? I want to check it before I drop the tank. I checked the harness at the tank and it is getting twelve volts. I also can still hear the pump turning on when the key is turned to accessory.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

55-60 PSI is what I found.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just replaced the fuel pump. It's still doing the same thing. I can get it started but then stumbles really bad. I turn the key to accessory, and it moves the gauge to 58 psi, then it starts and it goes down to 50. While the engine stumbles the gauge gets erratic and spikes up to 58 then stalls.
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

It sure would help if you can attach a scan tool to this motor, we can then monitor ALL the sensors data and fuel trims.

Thanks again, and please don't forget to rate me and keep this link in case you need ma again later on.