Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Im having a problem with an Atwood 1500 ac with heat pump I

Customer Question

hello
Im having a problem with an Atwood 1500 ac with heat pump
I purchased and installed the unit during the summer and haven't needed the heat until the last few days, when I placed the thermostat on heat the thermostat flashed and went back to the cool setting, can you please assist me with a possible remedy to this error
thank you
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

What is the make of the thermostat? Are you plugged into shore power? Have you used it on A/C and just not on heat since you installed it? The more information you can provided the better here.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

See the attached link and tell me if this is your thermostat? http://www.atwoodmobile.com/manuals/ac/MPD_15078_AC_IOM_DUCTED_%2012_03_2014_Rev_8.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello Randallnot sure what make of thermostat It came with the unit, yes it is connected to electric pole, and yes I have been using the a/c fan and dry settings, just needed heat in the last couple of days
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did you look at the link I gave you? See if that is your thermostat........I am in the middle of dinner, so give me 20 minutes or so. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that is the same Manuel that came with the unit
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the thermostat looks just like the picture
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
on the unit itself there is the 110 volt wire, the thermostat connector, 2 blur to fernace(not connected) and 1 black(-) and 1 red(+)12 volt connected
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

So you decided not to hook up the LP furnace? You are just trying to get the heat pump to work here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is that possible to remove the LP unit , Im hoping so
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did you press the furnace button to disable that portion so that it works on heat pump only? What setting do you have the fan on? You don't need to take the LP furnace out.........just disable it per the furnace mode setting.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I didnt see anything in the installation manuel contents, that pertained to the settings that you have mentioned
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Scroll down through it to the instructions for settings. Have the fan set on "Auto" here. See pages 13 and 14.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Even with the LP furnace not connected I think you have to select the correct mode on the furnace switch so it isn't the primary heating source.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok, those pages weren't with my instructions, let me take stab at it,
I will print these pages and finish the installation I hope I dont have to bother you anymore, thanke you for the missing pages
thank you
Jeff Newman
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome, Jeff............thanks for giving us a "shout" here at Just Answer!

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I happened to see under trouble shooting that IF the ambient temps are under 45 degrees inside, the furnace mode HAS to be on and used. So you might want to reconsider hooking that up. I can tell you that it is a better source of heat as well.