Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

While having parked the motorhome and pluged into a 110 we

Customer Question

While having parked the motorhome and pluged into a 110 we run the heater and it runs the batterys down.it shows on the converter it will run down from 12.4 to 9 . And it shows its off.when you plug it in is their something eles I need to do.we just bought it used and not much information from seller.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

When you say plugged in are you using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord?

Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Main cord from the motorhome.
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

OK

The voltage should not be dropping off to much if you are plugged in with NO adapters or cords, sometimes if you step down and plug into a standard 110 outlet it can cause issues. So this sounds like the converter is not working properly. When you are plugged into the 30 or 50 amp service you should see around 13 volts if the converter is doing it's job. IF the voltage is 9 then it is to low. IF you can get me the make and model of the converter it should help, I can send you some troubleshooting. Also I might have the batteries load tested if you just purchased this, if the batteries were in poor condition then they might not accept a charge from the converter. Make sure all the cables are clean and tight. Most auto parts stores will load test them for free..... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Let me know if you need more help, follow ups are included and I am around daily... Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Its a Prowatt sw
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

That might be an inverter, do you have a model number on it?

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

OK

That is an inverter and I am not so sure that one will charge the battery so that would mean you would also have a power converter, the power converter will take the incoming AC voltage and charge the battery. The inverter will take the DC battery voltage and make AC voltage when you are unplugged from power. Can you tell me what it says on your main fuse/breaker panel? The converter will be part of the breaker panel OR stand alone and plug into an outlet. On the stand alone style they are normally close to the breaker panel, under the stove fridge etc.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just a gray box under the bed.
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

does it look like the picture below? OR similar.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
How about this intel I power 9100 model pd9180 .
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Yup that is it, it will charge the batteries when you are plugged in, click HERE for some troubleshooting. IF the incoming AC voltage is good you should have close to 14 volts, if it is dropping to 9 volts at the converter then it is bad and would need to be replaced. Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Hi was just checking in to see if my answer helped? IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Have a safe and Happy New Year! Robert