Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have shore power but batteries are low. I 't have heat

Customer Question

I have shore power but batteries are low. I don't have heat from the furnace and the reefer is not working. I have 1/2 tank propane...help??
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

IF the DC battery voltage is low then the appliances you mentioned are not going to work. When you are plugged into power the inverter will charge the batteries so you have the DC power. IF the battery voltage is low at the batteries you could have a charging problem with the inverter OR the batteries are at fault. I would see what the voltage is at the batteries, check all your cable connections, make sure they are clean and tight. I also might have the batteries load tested to make sure they are not the problem, most auto parts stores will load test them for free. Next I would check the inverter. You should have a cable running from the inverter to the batteries, on that cable many times they will use a large fuse mounted to the frame. Want to make sure that is good, I also might shut the inverter OFF and then back on.

Pretty sure you have an inverter and not power converter. AN inverter allows you to have AC power when you are unplugged, a power converter will not do that. Normally for an inverter you would also have a remote panel inside.....

I would also start the generator and see if that makes any difference at all....

IF you know the make and model of the inverter/power converter I should be able to send you some info.

IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I was just checking in to see if my answer helped... IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me..

Have a Safe and Happy New Year!! Robert