Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.
19372534

Onan generator was starting hard thinking its a problem in

Customer Question

Onan generator was starting hard thinking its a problem in the wiring as I placed Jump starter right close to engine fly wheel & Positive terminal up on fire wall near steer. Generator than started but only ran for 40 min than shout s down
Category: RV
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Starter switch on generator flashes 3 times after it tries to start. just wonder how we determine if machine has a worn out starter and if so or me a new one while I go get the serial #s. Its a 10 K generator w/Cummins diesel pwr unit
Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 months ago.

Hello, Merry Christmas, and thank you for requesting me.

What are the model and serial numbers of the genset?

Also, see what fault code you are getting.

Go to the genset and use the switch on the set itself.
Press 'Stop' 3 times within 5 seconds. The light in the switch will start flashing.
If the light flashes 3 times, pauses for 3 seconds, and flashes 3 more times, press and immediately release 'Stop' one more time.

This will put the controller into Fault Read Mode.

The light will flash (X) number of times, pause for 1 second, and flash for (X) number of times again. Count the flashes before and after the pause.

This will be the Fault Code.

Example: 2 rapid flashes, 1 second pause, 5 rapid flashes is a Fault Code 25.

There may be more than one Fault Code stored, so watch the light very carefully. If there is more than one code, it will display them all in order, and then start over again.

Be very careful not to misread a first level fault code (single digit code) as a second level fault code (double digit code).

The way to tell the difference is by the length of the pauses.

There is a 1 second pause between digits of a second level code, and a 3 second pause between codes.

For example, if it is flashing 2 times, 1 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a second level fault code of 22.

If it is flashing 2 times, 3 second pause, flashing 2 times, 3 second pause and repeating, then this is a first level fault code of 2.

What Fault Code are you getting?

.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Uoe--, THANKS for staying w/me used to working all night just got up or around
1OHDCAA11506A Speci A
Serial#: B###-##-#### KvR 10, Kw 10, 0611-1256
Cummins Diesel 1496cc, 41.7 Amp
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe 6 flashes.. gen starts up just fine when I put a large charging unit on motor assembly, ie, the motor assembly is located 42 ft from the battery source, an the 2 yellow top Altima deep cycles that pwr up that Cummins eng not replaced yet as I have two new ones ready to put in. just wanted to narrow down the problem. I have got tell yoi that I must leave to go to Christmas party, I wont consume any alcoholic beverages, and ill be back on this approx. 1130 pm, tonight. I also think could be bad terminal pos on the front where gen is located however cable is large(2ga) one piece all the way from the back battery storage area. thanks for your help, ill be back to apply new batteries
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
that frount positive terminal is located way up undereth on the fire wall so Its a burger to get 2 but it appears clean and tight its a heavey duty bitch but it appears clean but could have corrosion under it. and it is in behind a large amount of electric cables but I get to it with both new batts and deal with the terminals and cable before I get back to you
MERY MERRY DAYS I HOPE YOU WILL HAVE. GW WILDMAN
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
THATS a ok I BE bACK
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
JUST MAKING SURE U UNDERSTAND ; 3 flashes before, than three after. total of six flashes. not totally sure but believe that is only code. GW
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have nothing to go on here as I purchased this at auction sight unseen, and have no manuals to go by or anybody
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Well I was not gone as expected, so I am back I am going to install the new batteries now, back as soon as possible
Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 months ago.

Sorry, my computer crashed and I had to get a new one. All the kids came home for Christmas, so I spent time with them, as I don't get to see them often enough.

Code 36 is most often a fuel related issue.

First, make sure you have plenty of fuel in your tank. You must have a minimum of 1/4 tank for the genset to run.

If you have plenty of fuel, do a fuel flow test.

Start the genset and let it run until it shuts down.

When it shuts down, immediately remove the fuel return line from the genset, and attach a length of fuel hose to the nipple.

Place the fuel hose into an empty container of at least 1 quart capacity.

Press and hold the STOP/PRIME button for exactly 1 minute. You should get a minimum of 1/2 pint of fuel in a minute.

What results do you get?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thats ok, i been bizy with outher stuff.. motorhome is low on fuel it's so cold Windy it will be hard to deal with heavy snow we are to get, maybe 8 inches. So i am going to try and move it and puts some fuel in it . Its just very cold.. WCHILL of 1*
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will get back to Hank F. I have replaced batterys.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Its running on empty, i be away to fuel this .
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
im working on somother work also too , getting ready for big snow & high widows
Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 months ago.

ok

Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 months ago.

Did you get anywhere with this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you believe this no I'm sorry I actually have not. Hank I got sidetrack I think there is a problem with the posi terminal and I got to get more fuel in it I didn't know that you had to have a quarter tank but it's got some issues anyway I'm going to run that to try to get to you make sure I have the code right but I'm its not starting up on its own anyway if in the automatic mode should start up
Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 months ago.

If you are low on fuel, it will not start.