Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

No 12v in coach. Lights, heat, ect.

Customer Question

No 12v in coach. Lights, heat, ect.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Did you check the battery disconnect switch? Are you plugged into shore power or not?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
we are plugged in. 50 a service. Remote in coach that shows Ac power dark. Not sure where batt disconnect switch is?
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Usually by the entry door or on the overhead. Two switches on a bronze bezel. Usually Intellitec on the plate. One is for the coach batteries and one is for the chassis batteries. Check the main breakers in the pedestal to be sure they aren't tripped. Did you try the genset? Has this been working fine up to now? Please elaborate some on the circumstances here.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Replaced batteries 2 weeks ago. Coach. Had trouble. Ended up one wire wrong position. Moved and everything worked fine. Just walked out to unit and it's working ? When I cut in heater and fan came on lights flicker. Many a sign of low bat voltage. ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dam auto spell. Sorry
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Could be, if you aren't plugged into shore power OR if your charging circuit isn't working well. If you have a small digital multimeter we can take some readings and see.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I do and we can!
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Set your meter on DC volts and take a reading on the house batteries AT the connections TO the coach. You should see about 13.8 VDC or close.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Let me know what you find...........and I will make a phone chat option available for you if you think that might be easier to follow.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
12.7 vdc
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Not good..........do you have an inverter/charger or just a converter? If the former, check to see if it is on and hit the reset.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Coach is off again
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Perhaps you are having problems with the transfer switch.........or do you mean just the DC portion?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Reset magnum unit. Still no lights. Green indicator light comes on then blinks as advertised.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Just dc
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

It sounds like you are having problems at the automatic transfer switch. What happens when you run the genset?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Haven't tried but will
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

10-4

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Gen set won't start. Tried aux battery switch in console , can here starter solenoid clicking like week batt
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
On gen set
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Sounds like the AC issue needs to be resolved and then check the charging. Can you access the main disconnect breakers in your load center to see if you have AC power there?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I can cut off all ac breakers if that's what you mean
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

I mean access so you can test for AC power INTO them from the transfer switch with your meter?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll need to pull panel cover off. Will that allow access.
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Yes........set your meter for AC volts and see what you have.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok. Stand by
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

I'm here.........

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Ground the negative lead to the busbar for the grounds or the neutrals.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok taken cover off. Main breaker shows 121 V on both load sides.
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Can you get to the feeds into the inverter? And put some load on both sides and take another reading. Turn something on as you can have a good voltage reading with no load, but if there is a problem you might not see it. And I am wondering about the pedestal. Is this an older one?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Please explain pedestal ?
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Where the shore cord is plugged in. Older ones can have issues with the prongs getting burned and then opening up under load. I have seen this in older parks........or are you at home?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
At home. New plug.
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

No adapters on the cord? Hooked up to a 50 amp dedicated plug?

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Did you check the inverter to see if it shows it is on and not having any breakers tripped?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I installed this converter under warranty. The incoming power internally wired would be hard to test.
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Tripped on the inverter..........

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

What is the make and model?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No pop out fuses out.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
07 Fleetwood , Providence 40 x
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

I don't understand that statement...........what is the make and model of the inverter?

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

A Magnum unit? Which one? Is it one or not?

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

On or not? Remote? Does it show it being on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Inverter is a Magnam ME 2000
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Is it on or not?

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Do you have the manual for it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Remote not on.
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Did you try turning it on?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

I suspect it was damaged when you got the battery cables hooked up wrong and that is why it is erratic and not charging the batteries. It can be checked and rebuilt if needed. When you hook up the batteries wrong you can damage all kinds of components. You might get a good mobile tech to come to your location for some testing.

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

You might try a reset...........check the manual or how that is done. That might solve this. IF NOT, you probably need to have it checked.

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Attached is the manual for this if you don't have it handy............. https://www.fgc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/fleetwood-magnum-inverter.pdf

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

See page 33 for the trouble shooting...........

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You want to come
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

I live in California............ The batteries may be too low for operation. You may have to have them charged up and load tested before you can get this to perform.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I just cut on aux battery switch and all lights came on?
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

I think that was the first question I asked here..............

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

The batteries still need to be checked and charged. IF the inverter won't come on and do that you will have to get a stand alone charger or take them into a shop to be charged.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Does the aux battery in the on position connect engen batteries to house batt
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Only if it is the "Auxiliary start" switch and that is a rocker switch and only stays engaged as long as you hold it down. The battery disconnect switch is the same way, but the solenoid stays in the position you call for. You might want to have a mobile tech come over and give you a quick course on how everything here works.

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved or do you still need some assistance here?