Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

No 12v in coach. Lights, heat, ect.

Customer Question

No 12v in coach. Lights, heat, ect.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did you check the battery disconnect switch? Are you plugged into shore power or not?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we are plugged in. 50 a service. Remote in coach that shows Ac power dark. Not sure where batt disconnect switch is?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Usually by the entry door or on the overhead. Two switches on a bronze bezel. Usually Intellitec on the plate. One is for the coach batteries and one is for the chassis batteries. Check the main breakers in the pedestal to be sure they aren't tripped. Did you try the genset? Has this been working fine up to now? Please elaborate some on the circumstances here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Replaced batteries 2 weeks ago. Coach. Had trouble. Ended up one wire wrong position. Moved and everything worked fine. Just walked out to unit and it's working ? When I cut in heater and fan came on lights flicker. Many a sign of low bat voltage. ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dam auto spell. Sorry
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Could be, if you aren't plugged into shore power OR if your charging circuit isn't working well. If you have a small digital multimeter we can take some readings and see.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do and we can!
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Set your meter on DC volts and take a reading on the house batteries AT the connections TO the coach. You should see about 13.8 VDC or close.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Let me know what you find...........and I will make a phone chat option available for you if you think that might be easier to follow.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
12.7 vdc
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Not good..........do you have an inverter/charger or just a converter? If the former, check to see if it is on and hit the reset.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Coach is off again
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Perhaps you are having problems with the transfer switch.........or do you mean just the DC portion?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Reset magnum unit. Still no lights. Green indicator light comes on then blinks as advertised.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Just dc
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like you are having problems at the automatic transfer switch. What happens when you run the genset?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Haven't tried but will
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

10-4

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gen set won't start. Tried aux battery switch in console , can here starter solenoid clicking like week batt
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
On gen set
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like the AC issue needs to be resolved and then check the charging. Can you access the main disconnect breakers in your load center to see if you have AC power there?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can cut off all ac breakers if that's what you mean
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I mean access so you can test for AC power INTO them from the transfer switch with your meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll need to pull panel cover off. Will that allow access.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Yes........set your meter for AC volts and see what you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok. Stand by
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I'm here.........

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Ground the negative lead to the busbar for the grounds or the neutrals.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok taken cover off. Main breaker shows 121 V on both load sides.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Can you get to the feeds into the inverter? And put some load on both sides and take another reading. Turn something on as you can have a good voltage reading with no load, but if there is a problem you might not see it. And I am wondering about the pedestal. Is this an older one?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please explain pedestal ?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Where the shore cord is plugged in. Older ones can have issues with the prongs getting burned and then opening up under load. I have seen this in older parks........or are you at home?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At home. New plug.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

No adapters on the cord? Hooked up to a 50 amp dedicated plug?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did you check the inverter to see if it shows it is on and not having any breakers tripped?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I installed this converter under warranty. The incoming power internally wired would be hard to test.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Tripped on the inverter..........

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

What is the make and model?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No pop out fuses out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
07 Fleetwood , Providence 40 x
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand that statement...........what is the make and model of the inverter?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

A Magnum unit? Which one? Is it one or not?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

On or not? Remote? Does it show it being on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Inverter is a Magnam ME 2000
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Is it on or not?

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Do you have the manual for it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Remote not on.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did you try turning it on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I suspect it was damaged when you got the battery cables hooked up wrong and that is why it is erratic and not charging the batteries. It can be checked and rebuilt if needed. When you hook up the batteries wrong you can damage all kinds of components. You might get a good mobile tech to come to your location for some testing.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You might try a reset...........check the manual or how that is done. That might solve this. IF NOT, you probably need to have it checked.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Attached is the manual for this if you don't have it handy............. https://www.fgc.edu/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/fleetwood-magnum-inverter.pdf

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

See page 33 for the trouble shooting...........

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You want to come
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I live in California............ The batteries may be too low for operation. You may have to have them charged up and load tested before you can get this to perform.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just cut on aux battery switch and all lights came on?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I think that was the first question I asked here..............

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

The batteries still need to be checked and charged. IF the inverter won't come on and do that you will have to get a stand alone charger or take them into a shop to be charged.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Does the aux battery in the on position connect engen batteries to house batt
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Only if it is the "Auxiliary start" switch and that is a rocker switch and only stays engaged as long as you hold it down. The battery disconnect switch is the same way, but the solenoid stays in the position you call for. You might want to have a mobile tech come over and give you a quick course on how everything here works.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in to see if you were able to get this resolved or do you still need some assistance here?