Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2006 Newmar Dutch Star diesel pusher and can't get

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Newmar Dutch Star diesel pusher and can't get the engine to turn over after servicing the coach batteries. Batteries are fully charged and connections all tight. When rinsing off the batteries with baking soda and water, the engine began cranking without notice. Turned the ignition key on and engine started as expected. Let the engine idle figuring the engine heat would dry out whatever triggered the starter. After several minutes at idle, I turned the engine off. Now the engine won't even turn over as if it has no starter. Help? Suggestions?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert,,,,

Do you have an Allison shift pad and if so is it showing the gear when you turn the key ON? Or is the pad coming on?

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Shift pad illuminates and indicates transmission is in NUETRAL.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right after I tried to start the engine the second time (unsuccessfully) and turned the key to OFF, moments later the shift pad flickered briefly but the key was OFF!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Now the pad only illuminates when I turn the ignition switch to ON.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

That would be one thing from preventing it from starting if the engine was not seeing the gear it is in so that should be OK..

SO what I would do is get a test light and trace the power to the fuse from the battery, make sure you have power on all the fuses, look for any breakers on the cable from the battery to the fuse box, below is a picture of what you could find, each post should have voltage. When they trip a small tab on the side of them will pop out.

It is also possible that the starter solenoid is at fault but if the area with the fuses got wet I would be checking for power. Make sure all your cables are also clean and tight.

The Allison transmission should have a control box, inside that box are two mini fuses and relays. I do not think the problem is there if the pad is lighting up but if you see that box I might verify each of the fuses inside the box. A 12 volt test light will allow you to trace the power and see where it is missing....

Robert

Breaker....

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Sorry I can not do a phone service at this time. IF you need to check some things out and respond back that is fine.... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will try your suggestions tomorrow morning. I may need some additional guidance based on what I find tomorrow. Thanks.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

That is fine, I will be around so please feel free to contact me, I am on PST time and normally get going around 6 am...

Have a good evening... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, I am around if you have any questions on this...

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Was just checking in to see if my answer helped, OR if you still have questions on this...

Robert