gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

Where do I get detailed information about winterizing a

Customer Question

Where do I get detailed information about winterizing a Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8299BS. Just bought it (11-30-15) and walkthrough did not cover it. Owners manual gives a generic attempt at it, but provides no detail on using antifreeze, removing the water filter or bypassing water heater, and turning pump from fresh water tank to pumping antifreeze. How do you get to the pump and filter??? Both a mentioned but not where to access either.
Would appreciate any help.
Don in New Holland, PA
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

I don't have any information on the location of the pump and filter. In our shop we just have to track them down by sound and the "usual" places they put them...........like near the water fill inlet for the water tank. I can give you the play by play as it were on how to do this if you want. And most newer trailers have a bypass on the water heater and a winterizing valve. I would see if you have those and then if not, you can get some and we can do this. Let me know and I will make a phone chat offer for you if you think that might be more helpful here. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

BTW a winterizing valve is used to pump the RV antifreeze directly out of the jug instead of pouring it into the tank. Less waste and you don't have to put that into the water tank. Most RV shops would have one or can make one up for you if this doesn't have one.