Hank F.
Hank F., RV tech - emphasis on gensets
Experience:  RV tech since the beginning of the millenium.
19372534

I would like to know how to test the inverter on a Onan 7.5

Customer Question

I would like to know how to test the inverter on a Onan 7.5 KW generator model #HDKAJ
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 12 months ago.

There is no inverter on this set............are you trying to determine if it is putting out 120 VAC or do you have a charging problem on the 12 VDC side? Please explain the issue.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Onan Model # ***** Part#300-6058-02 INVERTER
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
This model has a permanent magnet rotor with an inverter
Expert:  Randall replied 12 months ago.

O.K.............most of the "inverter" questions we get are concerning the inverter/charger for the system. I don't have a manual for that set and I will opt out and let our Onan tech offer something. He stays really busy, so I don't know when he may be available to answer your question.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The original problem was that the magnets came off the rotor and took out the stator. The rotor was replaced and the stator was rewound. Put back together, but no output when connected to the inverter. Disconnected the stator from the inverter and and ran the diesel end and checked the voltage coming from the stator it was putting out about 155 vac so the generator end is producing.
Expert:  Hank F. replied 12 months ago.

There is no test for the inverter.

If the alternator is putting power into the inverter, but you have nothing coming out, the inverter is bad.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thanks Hank, so do you know if these inverters are repairable?
Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 months ago.

The inverter is not repairable.

Sometimes Onan has a factory refurbished inverter available, but not very often.

Expert:  Hank F. replied 11 months ago.

Was this what you wanted to know?