Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a small RV with a built in generator that all of a

Customer Question

Customer: I have a small RV with a built in generator that all of a sudden doesn't run my microwave. The microwave is built in and is the original which is about 5 years old. I've checked the breakers and everything seems fine there. The microwave runs fine when I plug to an external power source.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Not that I can think of!
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to RV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Around $18?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 12 months ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

What is the Year, Make and Model of the RV AND what is the make and model of the generator?

Thanks, Robert

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It's a 2010 Roadtrek Agile with a 2008 Freightliner body and a Cummins Onan generator.
Expert:  Robert replied 12 months ago.

OK

Please keep in mind I have no idea on what you have checked. I would start by going to the generator and make sure you do not have a breaker tripped, most generators will have 2 breakers, on some the side panel has to come off to get at the breakers, if the microwave works when plugged into shore-power then it sounds like the wiring is good inside, so it would be an issue with the generator or the wiring from the generator to the plug for the microwave. IF the breaker is not tripped then I would plug a polarity checker into the outlet and see if there is a wiring fault. Most places like Home Depot have them for a few dollars, if there is a wiring fault then I would be checking the cord from the generator to the breaker panel. IF you have no voltage at the outlet and the breaker is not tripped then it sounds like a generator issue IF you can not find the breakers on the generator please get me the model number.... Robert

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
According to my visa account you've just charged me $5 plus $25 that according to info I received before I accepted this was to be $18 if...if...I was satisfied. So I'm confused! Please clarify.
Expert:  Robert replied 12 months ago.

I do not handle the money or payments. The way it works is you make a deposit and then get to talk to an expert, once you are satisfied you can rate the expert, that is how I get credit. You are allowed to follow up with me as much as needed. IF you are NOT satisfied I can put your question back up for other experts, you only rate when you are satisfied. IF it does not work the expert can request a refund for you. Click HERE for more questions on the billing side.... Robert