Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

We have a 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador. A few minutes

Customer Question

Hello. We have a 2006 Holiday Rambler Ambassador. A few minutes ago, something clicked and now we no longer have shore power. We did have quite a load on it when it happened. We've tried shutting off all of the breakers then unplugging and turning everything
back on twice. No change. Please help.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did you check the breakers on the pedestal? Flip them off and then back on as well. Get back to me if that isn't working. All follow ups are included in our fee. If some testing is needed, a small digital multimeter is very helpful here.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

If this doesn't give you power...........let me know if the genset works for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We did try that and it made no difference. We don't have a multimeter. Yes the generator does work.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

The most probable cause then if you have power on the genset and not on the shore cord is the automatic transfer switch. It may have been shorted out or has an open circuit now due to the overload. If you have a cord reel, that can be a source of this as well. The contacts may have been burned. This can be checked with a multimeter to find out. Be sure that on your main breakers, that you turned them off and then back on. Otherwise they won't reset.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
generator running I have absorb charging on my board when I am using 50 amp shore power the board says inverting I have shut off all breakers in the rear of coach along with unplugging from the 50 amp service outside. running on generator now
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

The inverter will provide some circuits with AC power when neither shore power or genset does. Otherwise, it passes the power through it. It really doesn't have anything to do with no shore power though. On genset, you don't have to turn off breakers though. Everything should still work the same as shore power, but you still have to consider the total load and not overdo it.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have a multi meter to check the transfer switch. I have turned the main breakers off then back on. So if I have power with the genset and no shore power, where do I look next?
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Without a meter you really can't track this down............

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I in the power transfer box in the rear of the coach the black wire coming in from the shore power has burnt. Would a hose electrician be able to fix this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
house
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Yes..........or perhaps give a mobile tech a call and have them come out. That sounds like the transfer switch. A new one runs about $200 and it takes about an hour to change out. Most regular electricians probably won't have one. Check online for a listing or call a local dealer and see who does this in your area and your park would also know of some who do work there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks there is a local rv repair in town.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Check with them..........many times a tech does mobile work on the side or they may have one as part of their operation. That would save you having to move your coach. Please get back to me if you need more later