Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

This ***** ***** Sturtz and I have a full propane tank but

Customer Question

Customer: This ***** ***** Sturtz and I have a full propane tank but burners on stove top won't ignite. Gas line under the house was repaired earlier today and burners lit following the repair and pilot light on fire place was lit but now is out. I get a hissing sound out of the burners and I can smell gas but even with a fire lighter the burners won't come on.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: There was a slight leak in the line wasn't noticeable until we ran out of fuel before normal delivery due to power outage when we had to use the fire place for heating the home. When the delivery guy filled up the tank he did a pressure test and noticed a slight "leak" in pressure but couldn't find it at the fire place or stove top. At his recommendation, I called for a plumber to come out and check for a leak under the house. The plumber did find a "very small leak" in a section of pipe that he repaired by replacing the faulting section. After the repair work was done, he lite the fire place pilot light and all four burners on the stove top. It wasn't until later this evening when I went to turn on the fire place that the pilot light was out I followed the instructions in the fire place manual, but couldn't get the pilot to ignite. It was then I tried the burners. Only to have the burner burn out after a few moments (less than a minute) and I couldn't relight any of them.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to RV Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes but its not in an RV. Its in our a triple manufactured home.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay in getting to your question, but I just noticed it when I got up to put wood on the fire.............. This is normal when the gas line has been evacuated completely. You can smell some gas, but it won't be fully equalized and the air out until you run it some. Keep trying to ignite it and when it lights leave it run for a few minutes. If you have any yellow or orange in the flame tips when the burner is on high, the LP working pressure may be too low and need to be adjusted up at the tank regulator. Have that checked with a manometer. Have it set at 12 WCI which is just right with an allowance for 35K btu use. IF you don't have an adjustable regulator, you may need to have it replaced. Marshall makes a good one. Hope that helps here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I finally got the stove top burners to ignite and I am letting them burn for a few minutes on high. I do have some orange flame and orange in the blue flame tips. Looks like I'll have to have the propane repair guy come back out or someone from our supplier out to adjustment the pressure. I still can't get the fire place pilot light to ignite.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

It takes some time to get the air out with such a small orofice. Keep trying and it will work itself out.