Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

You helped me troubleshoot some problems in the past with my

Customer Question

Hi
You helped me troubleshoot some problems in the past with my Onan HGJAE 6.5 Kw Propane generator. We bought this in 2003 and it gets about 50 hours of use a year. It is permanently mounted as a backup for our off-grid solar system.
We started having an issue with it not starting, which began yesterday. The day before it ran normally for 2.5 hours and then we shut it down. Now, It cranks and cranks but will not start. It seems to almost catch but then backfires once and won't start.
I have readjusted the valves and changed the sparkplugs, but it still acts exactly the same. There is spark from both sparkplugs. Propane comes out of the tank, and out of the line past the tank regulator. The shutoff solenoid makes a clicking sound, which to me seems like it is working.
It does not give any codes because it did not shut down.
Any Ideas?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Start by checking the LP pressure at the tank regulator. It sounds like the mixture is too lean. The regulator may be failing as well. A check with a manometer can tell you this. That would be the first place I would start. Then get back to me if you need to delve further into this and we can go from there. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in to see if that resolved this issue for you or do we still need to dig deeper into this?