Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a 1999 avion 38' rv 5th wheel fleetwood.. as you walk

Customer Question

i have a 1999 avion 38' rv 5th wheel fleetwood.. as you walk in the door on the right you have a thumb switch it has four switches. none work. one is for the light in the kitchen another is for the lights that go to light the floor going into the bedroom. ect... no power to the thumb switch? tested the florescent light bulbs and they are ok. it also powers the out side light plug by the door. this is a 12 volt system. everything else 12 volt works.
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

This might not be a simple fix, I would check the switch and see if the switch is getting voltage to it, if the switch is getting voltage but nothing happens when you hit the switch then it could be a wiring issue from the switch to the lights. IF you have no power at the switch then the problem is between the switch and fuse panel. These items should be DC powered and you should have a fuse in the main fuse panel inside. I would check each fuse with a test light and verify they all have power. IF you find a fuse that does not have power I might check the back side of the fuse holder for loose wires. Need to try and isolate the problem and see if the issue is from the switch to the lights OR from the fuse panel to the switch. IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi.. Was just following up to see if my answer helped, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I HAVE NO POWER TO THE THUMB FUSES AT THE DOOR. CHECKED MY FUSE PANEL ALL FUSES ARE GOOD.???
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

When you say thumb fuses are they a glass style fuse? Have never heard that term... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WELL I CALL THEM THUMB SWITCHS NOT FUSES.. MY MISTAKE. ALL FOUR OF THEM THAT CONTROL THE ON AND OFF OF THE LIGHTS, OUTDOOR PLUG ETC. THE FUSES ARE TWO PRONG BLADE TYPE
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

I am fairly certain the main fuse panel inside will supply voltage to the switches, did you pull the fuses out and check them OR did you use a test light? Then only reason I ask is because a fuse can look good but if the connection on the back where it connects to the fuse board was loose you might not have power at the fuse.

IF you have no power at the switches then the problem is between the fuse board and switch and it would be very diffiuclt to say where that problem would be without a wiring diagram... The only other place you might find another fuse is if they ran that circuit directly to the battery, if it had a fuse it would be 18" from the battery,I have a hard time thinking that the fuse would be there but you never know, I would take a quick look..... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
THANKS I WILL DO SOME MORE CHECKING
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

No problem, IF you need more help please let me know, IF you are satisfied with my efforts please feel free to select a rating, it is the only way I get credit for helping out... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WILL DO
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi was just checking in with you to see if my answer helped, please feel free to contact me if you have more questions or concerns.....

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
STILL NOT WORKING. I CHECKED ALL THE FUSES AT THE PANEL ALL ARE GOOD. WENT TO THE FRONT OF RV CHECKED ALL FUSES ALL GOOD. HAVENT BEEN ABLE TO FIND A WIRING DIAGRAM OF THE AVION.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

I do not have a wiring diagram or I would give it to you..... Wiring diagrams are very difficult to obtain. IF I was in this situation at the shop I would check all the fuses for power and then go to the switch and see if it is getting power, if no power I would start ohming the wires out from the switch to the fuse panel. This type of issue can be difficult to pin down. IF you would like to try another expert please let me know, I only get credit when you select a rating. My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

One place you might want to try for a wiring diagram is a manual exchange, I have heard positive remarks from other owners searching for prints and diagrams. Click HERE to view that, if the info. is not available you make a posting to what you are after.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 12 months ago.

Was just checking in to see if my answer helped, IF you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
WELL SO FAR NOTHING HAS HELPED? THE RESOURCES THAT YOU MENTIONED I 'VE CHECKED OUT BEFORE.
STILL SEARCHING. AVION HAS NO CLUE WHERE DIAGRAMS ARE AS ANYONE ELSE. THE AVION CLUB HASN'T GOT A CLUE EITHER?
Expert:  Robert replied 12 months ago.

Sorry you are not having any luck with that. One suggestion I have is to run a new power and ground to the switch from the fuse panel. This can be difficult hiding the wires so they are not seen. I might try jumpers first to make sure that would work, so if you have an empty slot on the fuse panel I might add a fuse lay the wires out on the floor and run them to the switch and see what happens, if they work then you know 100% that the wiring is at fault from the switch to the fuse panel. Then you could run the wires through the cabinets to the switch... IF the lights still do not work running power and ground then I would be looking at the switch and the connections on everything that is fed from the switch.

My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts, IF you would like to try another expert please let me know... Robert

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I WILL TRY THIS
MIKE
Expert:  Robert replied 12 months ago.

no problem, let me know if you need more help.

Robert

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
YOU HAD SOME GREAT IDEAS BUT UNFORTUNATELY I HAD ALREADY TRIED MOST OF THEM. I STILL HAVENT SOLVED MY PROBLEM AND AM SEARCHING. SO IF THERE IS SOMEONE ELSE BRING HIM ON SO I CAN SOLVE MY PROBLEM
Expert:  Robert replied 11 months ago.

OK...

Will put your question back up for other experts. DO not know when another expert will respond they come and go daily.

Robert

Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

How did you determine there was no power TO the switch? How far is it from the switch to the fuse panel?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
12 VOLT TESTER. ABOUT 20'
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

So you put the positive lead to the incoming lead on the switch and the negative lead where? The most common problem when multiple circuits go out at the same time (besides the feed) is a bad ground. Don't leave that out of the equation. IF you don't have 12 VDC into the switch AND you are sure that the fuse for that circuit is good and the holder tight and not showing any corrosion, then you may need to run a new lead. Test the switch by jumping over to it from a good 12 VDC source as Robert suggested. That way you can eliminate the ground as a proximate cause. Mice get into these and chew up wiring and it is hard to access some of the places that they might get to. I have one in my shop right now where I may have to rewire the water heater due to mice. You might be able to use another circuit in that area rather than go all the way back to the load center. In reading this again, you mention the outdoor plug. Are you sure that these aren't 120 VAC powered? The plug would be. Maybe you were referring to the outside light. And finally, I would check around the back side of the load center to be sure that there isn't a loose connection or evidence of mice. That would be a clue here. Get back to me if you need more on this as all follow ups are included in our fee. I will make a phone chat option available for you as well.