Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

Can my 31 ft. 1998 (18,500 miles) Fleetwood Flair class A

Customer Question

Can my 31 ft. 1998 (18,500 miles) Fleetwood Flair class A motorhome be converted to a bifuel CNG and gasoline system? It is on A Chevy P-30 heavy duty chassis with Chevy 454 c.i V8 engine. Would prefer two roof mounted long, small diameter tanks located on each side for better structural support.
Awaiting your considered detailed answer?
Thanks!
Category: RV
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By "CNG", I mean lighter-than-air compressed natural gas, not heavier-than-air propane.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You can't use both at the same time. If you want to convert to CNG you can probably find a setup for that, but you can't use gasoline any longer. You loose power and the mileage isn't going to be much better, if at all. With low gas prices this won't really pay off right now. Depending on where you live, the places to "fill up" may be pretty limited. Better to concentrate on improving the gas mileage and power of your existing power plant. Lots of options there. Hope that proves helpful here. Please get back to me if you need more as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did you have something additional you needed on this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Your answer is totally bogus? You, certainly, can have a switchable bifuel system. It is done every day. My question was more technical in nature, due to the information I gave you for my particular vehicle, and you completely did not understand that simple concept of the question. You are an idiot and I saw that you very quickly took the money and I want every cent of it refunded, as immediately as you took it. Fat chance of that happening! I just got scammed!!!
Expert:  russell-cssm replied 11 months ago.
We received your customer service inquiry, however, we are unable to respond to you because we do not have your email address. Please contact customer support at***@******.*** and provide us with your email address and a link to this question page so that we can help you. (paste the question link into the response). Thank you, ***** ***** Customer Support Team.
Expert:  Randall replied 11 months ago.

Well, I guess what I should have said is you can do anything IF you have both the time and money. Why do you suppose you don't see any of these around? That answer is pretty simple.............it isn't cost effective. And why would a person do it on that old a motorhome with out of date equipment compared to what is available today? What I should have said is this is not a good idea and you should save your money! For instance.............do you know how much those tanks would cost and how heavy they are when filled? Just pick up a #40 LP tank full of fuel. And if you make them small enough to put up there without completely restructuring the roof supports you wouldn't go far. Then there is the costs of the tanks. Have you priced them? And then they have to be certified as well. So you have to plan on a conventional tank maker to build them. Good luck with that one! As politely as I can here, I am trying to tell you that this is not a viable idea and if you can find the money to do it, the payback time would far exceed the life of the vehicle and perhaps yours as well. And lastly, this isn't a "scam" as you called it. I personally assist more than 200 customers a month and have for over 4 years. I personally have a repair facility myself and do lots of custom installations and I would not do this sort of thing there for all the reasons I mentioned, which are just a few of many. You never have to pay for any answer here you don't feel was helpful, so feel free to ask for a refund of your deposit.