Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Our 35 foot camper in plugged in on a beach site in Key

Customer Question

Our 35 foot camper in plugged in on a beach site in Key Largo. The lights are dim and sometimes don't work. The frig is not working. Outlets work sometimes. Electrician said we're plugged into a 30 amp outlet and we need 50 amp. How can we fix the problem?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert....

A 30 amp service we be OK to run most of the items if you manage the power, meaning one roof AC and most of the DC items, if you were to turn on more AC items then you would overload the 30 amp and the breakers would start to trip. ON a 50 amp service it is two 110 hot legs to equal 220. IF 220 was wired direct then it can damage the appliances in the RV. The other issue is if your trailer is not set up for 50 amp, if your cords has 4 prongs then it is a 50 amp service, if you cord has 3 prongs then it is a 30 amp service. I am not sure if you are using an adapter or not to get the 30 amps. IF you do not have a 50 amp cord then you would have to change the cord and the breaker panel inside so the trailer can accept 50 amps. IF you are using an adapters or extension cords they can be suspect. IF you would like some information on the 50 amp supply wiring please let me know and I can send you that. Please let me know if you have more questions or concerns follow ups are included..... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Click HERE and it will explain the proper hook up for a 50 amp service..... Also I might have a RV shop take a look at this vs a electrician so you know what you are being told is accurate..... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi was just following up to see if my answer helped OR you have more questions or concerns. Follow ups are included... Robert