Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have a 2015 voltage toyhauler with a wfco power converter

Customer Question

I have a 2015 voltage toyhauler with a wfco power converter that I can hear running anytime a lite is turned on...my power bill last month was over 400.00 dollars in this rv park. Is this the cause and how do I fix it?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

That is the fan inside the converter and it will kick on as load is applied, really no way to stop that. The DC voltage will not pull as much amps as the items that are operated on AC power, if you are using the fridge on electric, the water heater you might want to consider running them on LP part of the day to cut down on your bill. The power converter will also charge the batteries so it is important to have them tested yearly. If the battery was in poor condition or even if the cables were loose at the battery the power converter might want to charge all the time and would pull more amps.

I would be looking at your consumption on the AC items that you have running and try to run some on LP it should help reduce your cost.... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Please respond here if needed, Follow ups are included, I had to close that question so you do not get charged again.

My goal is for you to be satisfied with my efforts. I have NO idea of how you are running the appliances and was trying to be helpful. The DC items should not be drawing as much amps as the AC items. That fan will kick on to cool off the converter, not much you can do on that as that is normal operation.

A RV shop could use an amp meter to see how many amps you are drawing on both the AC and DC systems, if everything was turned off and the systems had a large amp draw then there would be an issue. It is important to have a shop look at any items if you are still under warranty as the issues should get documented for the future if any problems come up.

IF you would like to try another expert please let me know. Robert