Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Installed new house batteries can level motor home but

Customer Question

Installed new house batteries can level motor home but lights dont work unless I am plugged in
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Inside near the entry step do you have a battery disconnect switch? IF so and you hit that switch can you hear a click each time? This could be the solenoid for the disconnect.

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No click
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No click on solenoid
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

What I would do is find the disconnect solenoid and see if you have voltage going to it. IF you have good DC battery voltage at the batteries then all the DC power inside should be working. IF you can not find the solenoid by sound go to the house battery and follow the cable it will go to the solenoid. On the solenoid you will have TWO LARGE posts, check for power on each side, if you have power on one side and not the other get an insulated wire and jump the large posts and see if power comes on, if so bad solenoid, some solenoids will also have fuses on them. Normally that solenoid is near the battery OR inside a battery control box located outside, but have seen some under the bed.... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.... Follow ups are included....

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will try tomorrow, solenoid is by the batteries
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

Sounds good let me know if you need more help, I am around daily and respond when I can.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped, if you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me...

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Robert,I thought i had seen the solenoid beside the battery box, it wasn't there only a post with all the positive cables coming to it, the ground wire ran to a CB181F-120 circuit breaker I tried connecting the ground wires together that didnt help either.Any other suggestionsKen
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

IF you have a switch inside for the disconnect you have to have a solenoid, normally the CB would have positive wires going to it not the negative. Look outside for a battery control box, on some they will have a box with fuses and breakers in it and sometimes the solenoid is in back of the fuses, also take a quick look under the bed for that solenoid. Verify and check that breaker it should have two posts on it and each post should have voltage..... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Was just checking in to see if you found the solenoid or checked for voltage on that breaker... Let me know if you need more help.... Robert