Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have a Jayco Sterling Outback 2009 model. I need to

Customer Question

I have a Jayco Sterling Outback 2009 model. I need to replace the 3 way Dometic fridge/freezer. What brand of fridge/freezer would you recommend installing?
Regards
Linda
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Why do you need to replace the one you have? And is that AUS or US? Get back to me on this and I can assist you further. Please include the model number of the one you have. Thanks!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Dometic that came installed in the van has never quite been cold enough in the 18 months we have had the Jayco. Tests at the caravan repairers show that both the freezer and the fridge component cannot get down to required temperature. This is AUS$.
Regards
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry I don't have the model number available right now. It is a Jayco Sterling Outback 2009.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

That can be corrected.............without replacing the whole fridge. Are you sure that this repair facility isn't trying to just sell you a new one? Even if it needed a whole new cooling unit it wouldn't be that expensive. We do this repair in my shop for $899 for most models but that is US funds. Try to find out which model you have as I don't have a good way of determining what model they installed in this when it was new. That would be very helpful here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you. I know the existing fridge/freezer is a 3 day Dometic R1 model. I will get my partner to check the model. And, no I am not sure if they are just trying to sell me a new fridge here, hence, I have contacted you.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

One of the reasons for needing that information is so I know if any modifications are needed for that fridge you mentioned. That would change the cost.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back to see if you were able to track down the model number of your existing fridge? Get back to me with that and I can give you a better idea of the cost that may involve modification of the compartment where this is installed. Thanks!