Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

Our old RV lights went out suddenly. Batteries are powering

Customer Question

Hi...our old RV lights went out suddenly. Batteries are powering the lights they run on, but the outlets are out and I do not hear any fans or converter noise. The off shore pedestal power breaker is on and I turned it on and off. No change. There is a general purpose breaker which is off and it will not reset to on. Have unplugged everything. Any ideas?
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert...

Sorry for the delay, so you have NO AC power? None of the outlets are working? Are you using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord you use to plug in with?

Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right. The outlets are all inactive. There is a GFI plug which I have attempted to reset by pushing both the red and black buttons down at the same time. The general purpose breaker will still not remain on when pushed to the on position. I have checked all the fuses and they are good to visual inspection and with a fuse tester. I am suspecting a short somewhere and am in possesion of a super special Walmart tester that is advertised to do everything but the dishes but do not have a clue how to use it. So what are the odds? Possible short, possible bad GFI plug...any other ideas?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

Are you using any adapters or extension cords on the main cord?

Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

IF you are using any adapters or cords they can cause issues, if that is the case I would change them out OR plug in the cord without them and see what happens.

The power should come from the cord to the breaker panel if you do not have a built in generator. IF could be an issue with the cord or the wiring at the breaker box if you are missing all the AC power. To check for a short I would use a polarity checker, it will plug into the plugs that are not working and tell you if there is a wiring issue such as short. If it does not light up then power is missing. Go around and make sure you do not have another GFI hiding, normally they are in the bathroom or galley but can be just about anywhere else including the outside. I also might check your cord ends out and make no wires are burnt or touching. After that you would have to check voltage in and out of each breaker, if you have voltage go start checking each outlet starting with the one closest to the breaker panel, then to the next and so on working away from the panel...... Hope this helps some, IF you have more questions or concerns please feel free to contact me... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No adaptors. No extension cords.
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

OK

IF you have no AC power at all and the AC supply is good then it has to be a connection issue at some point. I would start with checking the polarity, make sure you do not have another GFI and I might inspect the shore cord connections. The cord should come right into the breaker panel and normally it is a straight shot .

IF it is just the outlets that are not working AC works, Fridge works on AC power then I would be looking at each outlet for a faulty connection.

Hope this helps some.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Without the AC power the DC power will not work, the power converter takes the AC power and makes the DC power.......

Let me know if you need more help, follow ups are included.... Robert

Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

HI... Was just checking in to see if my answer helped or you have more questions or concerns.... Robert