spankyjr1
spankyjr1, RV Mechanic
Experience:  I have been a mechanic/ technician for over 30 years working on gas,diesel,engines drive train,and electronics.
65057319

I'm buying a 1985 fleetwood southwind, fuel gauge bdoesn't

Customer Question

i'm buying a 1985 fleetwood southwind, fuel gauge bdoesn't work, was told it may be the ground the present ownerdoesnt know the ful tank capaciy, the rv is 26' with a 454 engine i live in easton pa. i have to pick up in n.c. approx, 737 mi. away. i need to know fuel tank size somi can figure on how many fuel stops i need to make, i can't seem to find that info anywhere. can u tell me size of fuel tank, and maybe a way to fix fuel gauge
Category: RV
Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Good morning Charles, sorry for delay, my name is ***** ***** you for asking your question, I will try and help you out.

There are different fuel tank capacities available on this unit ranging from 30-50 gallon but most times in order to fix fuel gage issue you will need to drop tank anyway and its stamped on top of tank so we can kill two birds here. Yours is probably 35 gallons.

Most often the ground strap or wire from tank sending unit has a poor connection, or the float or sending unit is defective.

First you must remove fuel tank straps with a floor jack holding up tank with a block of wood on top of jack to support fuel tank weight,,start lowering tank enough to get wires and fuel line off,,once off lower tank to ground,,remove wire plug,,remove sending unit,there is a collar around sending unit you need to use hammer and chisal to turn locking ring 1/2 turn and sending until lifts out,

check plug for any corrosion, repair as needed,,then plug back in and work float up/down while someone is watching gage,,if gage does not move touch the float wire to ground and gage should peg full,,do this with key on,,if gage does not move you either have a gage issue or broken wire from sender to gage,,inspect wire loom.

Remove plug again and ohm out sender wire to ground while moving float to see if reading goes up/down,if it does not replace sender.

Also make sure flat does not have a hole and floats.

while tank is down check capacity stamped on top.

If you are new to the site, this is briefly how it works:
1. We may need some back and forth to exchange information (if needed) and there is no extra cost for replying.

2. I will give you the best possible Answer for your problem without the ability of actually being present with you.
The better you describe the problem, the quicker I can help ;-)

3. Please let me know if you'd like to discuss this further...just click the reply button or use the reply box below to let me know.
If this has been helpful, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my personal service to you.

Questions or problems let me know I'm happy to assist.
Thank You,
spanky

Expert:  spankyjr1 replied 1 year ago.

Please take a moment to rate or accept my service so that I can get credit for my time from the web site ,without a rating or accept the web site does not pay me.
NOTE: Do NOT Rate on how much TIME you waited, because I am not on 24 / 7 and I answer as soon as I see the question.
The question will still remain open for follow up questions if needed.

Thanks
spanky