gene
gene, RV Mechanic
Experience:  28 yrs exp in the industry
19317657

I have a xantrex Truecharge battery charger permantly fitted

Customer Question

Hi
I have a xantrex Truecharge battery charger permantly fitted to my Northstar slide on camper
it has worked perfectly for about 3 years then a few months ago my battery kept going flat I mean dead flat less than 5 % charge it is a deep cell battery i got it recharged and everythign was fine for a weekend away then 1 week later it was flat again so i bought a new Battery I used that weekend and now the brand new battery is also flat and there are no lights showing up on the display panel at all
I checked all the fuses and they are OK It seems i got rid of a perfectly good battery and now the new one is dead flat
do i need a new battery charger - it was fitted in December 2010
thanks
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

What is the actual model number of the Xantrex unit you have? Do you have a small digital multimeter for some testing here? About $20 or so at most automotive or hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in this. Please keep in mind that even new batteries go bad on a fairly regular basis, but they can be load tested and checked to see if they have a shorted or open cell which would prevent them from being charged. Get back to me with the above info and I can help you sort this out. All follow ups on this question are included in our fee and expected here.