Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I have purchased a 1991 Toyota Odessey Motorhome... the

Customer Question

I have purchased a 1991 Toyota Odessey Motorhome . . . the Charge and Brake light have always stayed on until the engine is first reved then they went off . . . they are now on and do not go off and the underhood battery is not being charged. I have replaced the alternator because the battery tested ok at the parts store. Still have the same issue with the Charge and Brake lights on. The unit has a Noco battery isolator, could a malfunction there be the issue and is there a way to test it?
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You can test the input DC voltage and the output voltage with a small digital multimeter. About $20 or so at most hardware stores. Once you test that we can go from there. All follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a multimeter and will check the voltages in the morning.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

O.K..............let me know what you find.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

And I am adding the link to the Intellitec disconnect manual so you can see how they work. Print out a copy so you have this in case we need to do some testing. Hope this proves helpful here. Please come back to this posting sequence if you need more on this or we need to dig deeper into the problem. Thanks! http://ddwt.us/Intellitec_BD1_Battery_Disconnect_Service_Manual.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Randall, The output of the Noco unit shows 11.87 volts on the truck battery side and 13.24 volts on the coach battery side and no voltage on the input terminal. I looked for a fuse or a breaker on the input line from the alternator but have not been able to locate anything. Thoughts? Thanks, Bob
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Is this with the engine running or being plugged in or both?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine running, not plugged in however I have a solar collector on the coach battery.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You would have to follow the line off the alternator and find out if there is a relay or switch of some sort in that line. I don't have any manuals on that model. I can opt out of this and let someone who knows Toyota models comment. A Toyota Service Manual would be helpful here.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a Haynes Manual for it, however it is so generic that it is almost useless. If there is someone out there who knows the Toyota Odessey that would be great.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

You need the actual Toyota manual. Let me get you a link to that site. It may be an hour or so until I get home for lunch.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I never did get to lunch........sorry for the delay! See that attached link for a good manual source. http://www.lloydsautolit.com/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I agree the Haynes came with the vehicle . . . however LLoyds doesn't event list a 1991 Toyota pickup or truck . . . sorry man I know that you are trying but this just isn't working.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

I am enclosing a link to Faxon for you...........and if they don't have one, try Amazon or E-Bay and get the "real" Toyota manual which they made. More money, but way more complete. I will also ask my mechanic friend today as I know he has worked on these. http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

And I noticed that it is actually listed as being from Faxon!

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Let me know if you don't want that one and I will buy it for my shop.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I ordered a manual and wiring diagram which should be here on Monday . . . I will let you know how it goes.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Great! Hope this proves helpful for you..........and I will watch for your post.