Robert
Robert, RV Mechanic
Experience:  18 yrs. RV experience including Cummins North West, Country Coach, Monaco Coach - vendor certified.
3862310

I have an Atwood 8525-IV-DCLP heater. "Sometimes" (I know

Customer Question

I have an Atwood 8525-IV-DCLP heater. "Sometimes" (I know techs hate that). The fan comes on, the igniter lights it, after 10-15 sec it shuts off the burner, it will try 3 times total, then the fan runs (forever?) If I let it set a bit, thermostat off, it will usually run fine.
Rep
Category: RV
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is Robert.....

This could be a few things. Could be an issue with the LP, circuit board or electrode. I would access the back of the furnace and check the connector on the board, make sure it is clean and tight. I would next remove the board and have a RV shop test the board out, most RV shops have a special tester and can see if the board is at fault. IF the board is good then the next step would be to have the LP pressure checked, this would be hard for you to do without a manometer. Go to the main tank, shut the valve and slowly open it back up, if the valve is opened to fast sometimes the regulator can lock up and you might not get the proper pressure. IF the board and LP pressure is good, then it could be an issue with the electrode and may need to be adjusted. To help you out click HERE for a service manual it should help some........ Hope this helps... Robert

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
95% of the time the furnace runs just fine, sometime it has trouble starting, it will light and run for 10 sec then shut the gas off, it will try that 3 times and then just the fan runs.
Does the 8525 have a flame detector or thermocouple to ensure combustion? If it does, where is it?
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

The actual electrode senses the flame and will send a signal to the board click HERE and see page 5. If you scroll down you will also see the electrode on the diagram, should be able to access the back of the furnace and remove a plate to get at it. IF you have no access panel outside then the furnace will have to be removed, not all RV'S have the inspection cover on the outside.

I am sure if it has been to the shop they have verified the LP pressure, that should always be checked first to make sure it is not the issue, the electrode should be inspected as well. With it being intermittent it is difficult to know which component is causing the issue and this is going to be a process of elimination. Click HERE for an actual service manual, your model is covered..... Robert