Randall
Randall, RVIA Certification
Experience:  RVDA/RVIA Master Certified Technician with many years experience.
21664427

I plugged in my r.v. and lights were very dim to begin with

Customer Question

hi nick i plugged in my r.v. and lights were very dim to begin with and now only plugs working in unit, microwave working, but not lights now. all fuses good.
just plugged in at home and want to run lights only.
Category: RV
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

That is usually a sign that either the batteries are dead or the charing system isn't working or both. Start by checking the breaker in the service panel and be sure it wasn't tripped. Flip it off and then back on. Check the batteries water level and see if they smell hot. A sulphur smell would be a dead giveaway. IF you have a small digital multimeter this is pretty easy to check out. About $20 or so at most hardware stores and easy to use. I can direct you in the testing. Hope this proves helpful here. Please get back to me if we need to go further on this as all follow ups are included in our fee.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
guessing the dim lights were off the battery power. Now battery is dead. plugs workiing as I said and microwave and t.v.
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Did you read my response?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but battery is new and dead because it ran off battery allnight
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Let me know when you have a meter and I can direct you in the testing and we can sort this out. IF the battery is new, then the charging must be the issue.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i can get it tomorrow because all stores in my small town are closed
Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

If this has a slide room, it should have at least two batteries, but many dealers are too cheap to put in what is needed and these sort of things happen. Where are you located? I am in California, but get up early.

Expert:  Randall replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to find a meter for some testing? IF so, I can help you check the converter and charging circuit to see if that is where the problem is.